Titan's Weather: Biting Cold with Methane Rain Showers

I wonder if the scientists considered the possibility of igniting the entire planet on fire by accident. I'm guessing the atmospheric conditions really don't support that, that would be a big whoops.

I wonder if the scientists considered the possibility of igniting the entire planet on fire by accident. I'm guessing the atmospheric conditions really don't support that, that would be a big whoops.

I always thought about that as well, but I think the lack of significant lack of oxygen would prevent any fire, or so I believe.

B Ozanne,

I take it you also saw that episode of Battlestar Galactica, with the Cylon baseship hovering over the planet? :wink: :D

Yup-lack of oxygen is what prevents fire on Titan.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=603450

Hyugens has discovered that it rains liquefied natural gas on Titan. The rain creates small rivers, perhaps small lakes. Some of it is soaked up into the ground.

8)

Another thing: on Titan there are thunderstorms. This wants to say that there is convection of the methane with -180 degrees centrigrades: a bit cold temperature! :D

No, scientists only discussed the possibility of thunderstorms on Titan. It was hoped that Hyugens would photograph lightning and/or record thunder. We don't know for a fact that thunderstorms occur there. There is a large white cloud at Titan's south pole-but we don't know what that is yet.

Frankly, they might have had a better chance doing that with Jupiter or Saturn. I really wish they had dropped a probe similiar to this into Jupiter's atmosphere. Remember-thunderstorms on Jupiter can reach the size of the U.S. Imagine photographing one of those beasts... :shock:

Sadly, I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. :(

I figured there had to be a lack of oxygen (or other oxidizing agent). If the lower atmosphere were truly explosive, any lightning bolt or large meteor would do the trick. Maybe this has happened in the past until all the oxidants were used up.

Chuck Vlcek

Wonder what it smells like on Titan?? I realize gas is oderized here on earth for saftey reasons, but I just wonder what it smells like on that moon. Wierd question I know!

Wonder what it smells like on Titan?? I realize gas is oderized here on earth for saftey reasons, but I just wonder what it smells like on that moon. Wierd question I know!

Interesting question but we will never know since the second you sniffed the air your sinus membranes would dissolve if it wasnt instantly frozen in the -180c temperature. :wink:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=603450

Hyugens has discovered that it rains liquefied natural gas on Titan. The rain creates small rivers, perhaps small lakes. Some of it is soaked up into the ground.

8)

Another thing: on Titan there are thunderstorms. This wants to say that there is convection of the methane with -180 degrees centrigrades: a bit cold temperature! :D

The ultimate chase destination. Wish there was some way to get there.

Back