Tires for occasional dirt/mud roads

I'm another Subaru Foz owner and I purchased Goodyear WeatherReady (replaced the awesome TripleTred). So far pretty good. I'll report more (via IG and other social media) about my experiences once rainy season returns. I may have to add AT tires myself. Original plan was to take the Ford Escape (2009 v6 awd with 247,000 miles currently) but a few too many repairs may mean switching. That sucks cause I bought some decent for the price BF Goodwich Rugged TA Tires. As others have said, multiple Subaru groups on FB that'll help with finding what works on the Outback. If a newer Outback you can probably fit AT tires without much modification. May have to get small spacers. Main thing with Subaru is the strut perch being where issues occur. Leave as much space as possible. What the FB groups can't help you with is understanding how bad that Texas mud can cake up and interfere with functionality.

Slightly off the original topic, but I am looking to buy new tires for my car, which I use for everything from storm chasing to making runs to the grocery store. I recently had a very bad experience with hydroplaning (in Iowa of course) and that pushed me over the edge to get a nice upgrade. My car is a 2016 Honda Civic, with wheel size: 215/55R16. I am looking at 2 specific tires, just wondering if there are any storm chasing specific pros/cons of each tire, which may not be shall we say listed on the standard description. Also, if there are any additional ones that you think I should consider, please let me know. The tires I am looking at are: Michelin Defender T + H, and Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus. Thanks, I look forward to the responses.

Hey Joey, I’ve settled on Michelin tires for my vehicles. I’ve tried a few others, and had various tires that came on vehicles from the factory, but I’ve never had an issue with Michelins, and they tend to last a long time as long as you get them rotated and keep your alignment, um... aligned.

The tire guys that I buy them from also seem to be in agreement that Michelin makes a top shelf tire.

I’m partial to the Michelin LTX M/S, which is what I have on my F-150, Explorer, and work truck. I think it’s part of the defender line, too. They’re siped pretty heavily, and are fantastic in snow and on wet roads. I take the F-150 chasing, and on the few muddy roads it encountered down in the plains, the Michelins did fine. BUT, the roads had just gotten wet, and had not devolved into well-oiled silly putty consistency yet. I checked, and you CAN get them in a 215/55R16.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

ditto to what chris says. Michelins are great tires and when correctly rotated last.Took me about 30 yrs till i found that out. if you can afford them...go with them.

Is there any value to say only getting 2 for now, (which may be what I can afford) then getting the other two say at some point over the summer once I get a job after the hullabaloo is over? If so, should I get front? (its front wheel drive vehicle)

That’s what the experts recommend if you cannot buy a complete set of four at the same time. I’d try to get the other two as soon as you can though so they are roughly the same age. I’d put the first two on the front, then when you buy the other two, rotate the front to the back and put the two new tires on the front again.

If you can only get two, it's recommended that the drive wheels get the newest tires. So Mark is absolutely correct on this. Get the front, then when you get two more, put the newest ones on the front and rotate the older ones to the rear.

Ok. Here is my $500 question: Is there an appreciable difference between the Michilin Defender T + H and the Michilin Defender LTX?

Ok. Here is my $500 question: Is there an appreciable difference between the Michilin Defender T + H and the Michilin Defender LTX?

Joey, my understanding based on a little reading is that the biggest difference is the load rating, and that all season truck tires are engineered with at least light off roading in mind (think forestry roads or gravel roads around farmland). With those two specific tires, it comes out to something like a 900 lb difference per tire in load capacity, with the LTX having the greater load rating.

Back