Time To Revisit Mobile Desks

Jotto Desks

I have used Jotto desk systems for many years. They are SUPERB!! You can get them that secure under your seat screws or that bolt directly to the floor. They also have units available to house your radio banks. Make sure you get the laptop set up as it has straps to secure your computer.

I installed a RAM-POD III for my heavy laptop last season, and have been very happy with it. Nobody makes a no-holes laptop mount for a Jeep Grand Cherokee (when I was looking anyways) and I didn't want one of those seat-top models either. The RAM mount went in nicely and doesn't interfere with passenger seating either - and I can easilly remove the tray when not in use.

http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsystems/rampodiii.htm

The images don't do this unit justice, once you customize it and get it installed it looks very professional.

I drive a standard shift Ford Ranger. It's a standard size cab (no extra) so space is at a true premium. The Jotto desk has worked out very well for me. Mine is installed on the transmission hump forward of the gear shift. This gets it out of the way for shifting. I can swing it out of the way for a passenger and let them do the navigating, or swing it back towards the center and angled for solo runs.

I've had mine in for about a year now and tried a couple of different solutions (home made to commercial) and settled on this.

If your laptop is small enough, I recommend good ol' velcro. :wink:

Except it doesn't hold up in the late spring/early summer plains heat inside a vehicle. The glue gets hot and loose and whatever is attached to it slides right off. Weight doesn't seem to be a factor, because it's even doing it on my little GPS receiver I have velcro stuck to the door pillar in the windshield.

Keep in mind this seems to be with anything that will be mounted to a surface that is not horizontal. We have used it with great success to attach laptops to the mobile desks themselves, since all it really does there is keep the laptop from sliding off during lateral forces.

Re: Jotto Desks

I have used Jotto desk systems for many years. They are SUPERB!! You can get them that secure under your seat screws or that bolt directly to the floor. They also have units available to house your radio banks. Make sure you get the laptop set up as it has straps to secure your computer.

Yeah, Jotto is the way to go. I know a lot of people will want to try and make something or go for a cheap knock off, but really, if you want the best desk for a laptop in the chaser ride, Jotto is the way to go.

I have mine bolted to the floor of the truck and a cross beam that goes along the front of the seat so it does not get in the way of people riding in the front since its on a swivel mount so both parties can use the computer.

Except it doesn't hold up in the late spring/early summer plains heat inside a vehicle. The glue gets hot and loose and whatever is attached to it slides right off. Weight doesn't seem to be a factor, because it's even doing it on my little GPS receiver I have velcro stuck to the door pillar in the windshield.

I haven't had that problem, and I've taken my black car when the A/C was broken through southern AZ in the summer, and it still seems to be on there fine. Worst comes to worst I may have to go buy more velcro if that does happen. That's just my experiance any ways.

The Jotto is the only real semi-permanent/permanent vehicle mount that still lets you have a passenger up front without massive reconfiguring of the setup.

I used the velcro all season and it held up well. The straps were too flimsy and had too much 'give'. The velcro adhesive that mine came with is stronger than anything I've used. Removing the laptop from the desk (separating the velcro) is very difficult and often results in the battery panel cover ripping right off rather than the velcro coming loose!

It's so hard to remove that most of the time I just leave the desk portion of the Jotto attached to the laptop when I use it inside (just taking it off the swivel arm in the car). It actually makes a nice little laptop stand for tabletop use that elevates the screen and keyboard.

Thanks for the input everyone. It's settled. My wife just ordered the Jotto for me yesterday as a Christmas present. I think she was excited about it too because she is getting really tired of holding the computer in her lap. :wink:

Should be here by Christmas.......now I just need to buy the Mobile Threat net and I will be ready for Springtime. :p

You both will love it. I have used that model for a few years now and I and Kanani both wont chase without it. it can be manipulated to be comfortable and reachable to anybody and is quite sturdy. Worth every penny I paid for it.

Back