Tim Samaras 6/11/04 IA tornado video

There was some discussion on another thread about a piece of Tim Samaras' footage in which it was possible to view a corn bin in slow motion in the June 11th 2004 IA tornado he successfully deployed on.

Tim contacted me via email and has sent the slowed clip to me as a file. It is now up on my site. Please go here:

http://www.stormskies.com/TimSCamera3SloMo.mov

Also - can somebody please confirm to me that this plays OK? I've never hosted a movie file before......

KR

I'm glad this works. Unfortunately - I cannot view it as I don't have the correctly upgraded version of Quicktime that it requires......and after what happened with the last laptop - I'm somewhat leary of installing ANYTHING on this new one!

FYI - I will keep this video clip online for about a week for those of you who wish to view it. After that - I will take it off for bandwidth considerations.

I have seen the video that Tim S is referring to, however. He was kind enough to pop round to our place after his presentation at NSSL earlier this year I think it was. It certainly was a close brush with this tornado - and I saw him freeze the video at this piece of debris. Interesting stuff!

KR

Originally posted by rdewey
Yep, works fine. I can definitely see some sort of large object... I can't really make it out though as I know very little about farm equipment.

Yest it works fine...Impresive movie! and probably it deals about a little farm building.

Excellent footage. I wonder if there is a future way to keep the lens clear?

Mike

As somebody else said before, it is pretty hard to tell exactly what it is that was just tossed by the tornado. If I had to take a guess, I would guess some sort of corn crip. Those things aren't going to need much to be thrown... The first part of the object being thrown looks like a bin top and then the thinner metal looks exactly like a corn crib, but the second part you just can't tell.

Impressive video none the less and thanks for posting that!

Back