• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Thundersnow, finally! Wolf Creek Pass, 5/31//2023

John Farley

Supporter
After trying a number of times since October or November, I finally got some thundersnow this afternoon in Wolf Creek Pass - first time this snow season. Now, I know most of you would say the snow season is over, but in the higher elevations of the Colorado mountains, it is not. Thunder was a very low rumble and did not come out very good on video, but I heard it and it was snowing! I almost got some with a second storm that moved over the pass, too - loud thunder halfway up and snowed hard at the top, but not the two together with the second storm.

Although the video did not pick up the thunder very well, I did get a couple nice still photos.

This one is of mammatus a little while after the first storm, the one that gave me the thundersnow, passed over. Nice mammatus on the back side of the storm. It was still thundering until just before I got this picture, though the snow had moved on.

20230531_145214-e-upl.jpg

Here is a picture of the second storm, as it was moving up the valley toward Wolf Creek Pass:

20230531_153141-cr-e-upl.jpg

June thundersnow this evening, at a distance. Around the time I took this picture a little after 6 this evening, looking northeast toward Wolf Creek Pass and ski area, all three webcams at the ski area were showing snow falling, and the lightning tracker showed a number of strikes in that immediate area.

20230603_180757-cr-e-fb.jpg

Back