Thunder Snow

At 2:12 PM EST i heard thunder in Grand Rapids MI. I love thundersnow. maybe ill be able to see some lightning today. :shock: Any one else getting something like this?

Yesterday I was skiing just west of my town (Pajarito mtn.) and they shut down the lifts because of lightning. First time I've ever seen "thunder snow" at ~10,000 feet.....especially rare in late February. 0.75 inch hail was reported with that storm (along with heavy snow) just south of Los Alamos.

On a side note, if anyone is planning a ski trip....New Mexico has some of the best snow in many years right now....its awesome!

Hey, Kurt, it was cool, wasn't it! Second time this winter, too.

I was driving down in Barry County yesterday after church, just putzing around the backroads on a whim, when I saw the first flash and heard the first rumble. More followed at irregular intervals. Man, I just love a good potpourri! Now let's get this stinkin' snow outta here, start pumping in some good old Gulf moisture, and give that thunder and lightning an honest job. :lol:

Originally posted by Austin Ivey
Yesterday I was skiing just west of my town (Pajarito mtn.) and they shut down the lifts because of lightning. First time I've ever seen \"thunder snow\" at ~10,000 feet.....especially rare in late February. 0.75 inch hail was reported with that storm (along with heavy snow) just south of Los Alamos.

On a side note, if anyone is planning a ski trip....New Mexico has some of the best snow in many years right now....its awesome!

The higher elevations of the Southwest have been getting convective snow showers just about every single day for the past week from that slow moving upper level low....ran to them while driving out there last Saturday (the 19th)....and had to deal with them again while driving back yesterday (the 26th). Even saw a flash of lightning during a snow/graupel/small hail shower near Flagstaff yesterday. I was amazed to see how much snow was on the ground in the mountains east of Cedar City UT....deep enough that highway signs were almost completely submerged!

Back