Thoughts on VOIP

So my technically inclined brain and my somewhat deflated wallet have come up with a solution for a somewhat stupid situation I got myself into. A few years back, I had to sell all my ham equipment for cash. And because of that, I let my ticket expire...I know..now I realize the error of my ways! Here it is a few years later and I'm starting to stockpile equipment again and last season I found myself in a situation I didn't see coming. I'm all geared up except for this major deficiency and now I'm wondering if anyone has any experience to help me though until I can come up with a more permanent fix.

When I'm out, I'm using GR3, SN, and streets and trips. I'm using GPSgate for all my GPS needs, and I'm using my Motorola Q as my modem though a USB connection and PDAnet using Sprint. PDAnet has a feature that it's "supposed" to disconnect from the data net on an incoming call....that has never happened. I can get and send text messages while I'm streaming data, but the voice calling is disabled. And worse, in order to place a call while data is up, I have to disconnect the USB, drop my data, make the call, then hook up the USB, let PDAnet initialize and sign on, and then my data comes back. Not very convenient at all, especially if I want to call in a report.

So, until I get my ham ticket back, or decide to get a 2nd cell..which is very unlikely, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a VOIP provider like Vonage or Skype. I've looked at both, and other than Vonage being $25/mo, don't see why either one wouldn't work. If needed, I could VOIP a call to the NWS or local government and not have drop any data or switch any wires. My only concern would be the amount of throughput needed for something like that and the potential to cause a hang up with PDAnet pulling data for GR3, sending data to SN, and now trying to make a VOIP call all at the same time. I can usually connect at 2.4Mb on PDAnet and have never seen a problem related to slow data yet using this current setup. Before GR3, I was using Weathertap and had some pretty substantial slow downs because of the Java app needing so much data all the time.

Any thought? Putting multiple heads together might even come up with a better solution than this!

Thanks.

The first thing that pops into my head is finding a suitable headset

It's illegal to drive with headphones on isn't it? You'd have to pull over or use it from the navigator seat. If that's the case I'd just use the chase partner's cell for calls. That's what I currently do. However, next season I'm getting a data card and keeping the cell for calls only. I know this isn't in your budget, but I think the alternative means you'll have to be pulled over and have a decent connection or else your calls are going to be dropped.

I tried this earlier this year after getting an Alltel aircard. I figured as long as I had an EVDO connection, I could use my VOIP service over the aircard and drop my home cable internet service. I had the voip box hooked up to the aircard via a cradlepoint router.

It does not work. Even with a good EVDO connection, the latency is too high for the VOIP to work well. And that's with a great signal. If the signal strength goes down even a little, it won't work at all. I was able to get a couple of calls to go through on it in certain areas in the Raleigh, NC area, but it would not work anywhere outside of there, including at my house where I really needed it.

I currently use Skype, however not over cellular connections. A solid 3g connection should be able to provide enough bandwidth for VoIP, however I suspect there would be severe quality issues if/when you made a connection with someone. Let's not forget the bandwidth restrictions that many providers are now implementing on data connections (which this would count towards).

Personally I would recommend finding a good balance between a cell phone for conversations and a data card for your data needs.. some of them you can "park" during inactive parts of the season.

You could always just use a headset with one earphone in it. A lot of companies make noise canceling systems like that.

The problem is, that, a good bit of them cost about half of what a dual band radio costs.....

Getting your ticket again and getting another rig serves more purpose than just calling in reports. There's also the chaser simplex frequencies, and if you're in a no coverage area with your cell phone, it still works, or the report can be relayed at the very least.

I tried this earlier this year after getting an Alltel aircard. I figured as long as I had an EVDO connection, I could use my VOIP service over the aircard and drop my home cable internet service. I had the voip box hooked up to the aircard via a cradlepoint router.

It does not work. Even with a good EVDO connection, the latency is too high for the VOIP to work well. And that's with a great signal. If the signal strength goes down even a little, it won't work at all. I was able to get a couple of calls to go through on it in certain areas in the Raleigh, NC area, but it would not work anywhere outside of there, including at my house where I really needed it.

Awesome! I was hoping someone tried it and had personal experience withit. Thanks for the info all! You all make good points. Someday, I'll get my ticket back and another rig for the truck.

Hey Travis:
You sound as if you had the same problem I faced. Since I do not have my HAM license yet, this past year I solved my dilemma by having 2 cell phones. Actually, I think it worked out really well this way. I have an Alltel 'Hue' that feeds me data for GR3, SN, and I run DeLorme w/o the need for GPSgate. I also has a disposable cell(aka 'Tracfone'), and this is actually quite cheap and effective for calling in reports. Disposables use everyones transmission towers - so you are never out of range of any source - provided you are still close enough to any tower. It isn't an exorbitant cost to get one; they cost about $10-20 and then you buy a double minute card for $40, and then get/buy minutes as you need them. I rarely have to use it - so the cost is minimal - since I use the Alltel cell after I am done chasing.

This is my first year chasing and eSpotting - as some are already aware - so I am now going about getting into the HAM situation as the Emergency Mgr has advised me to do. I'm going to get my license thru online schooling and testing; cost about $40~. The upside of not having any HAM equipment Travis, is being to get it all fresh with all the new/best/useful bells n' whistles that are now available. Look at the bright side dude - you will be getting better gear and paying less for it. I'm going down to the local HAM shack today and shop for an ICOM dual band and the best mobile antenna that I can buy.
Cool thread, Travis..

Edit: I also have the 'Maximum Signal' cell amp/antenna system for the Alltel, as this assures good data feed on a consistant basis. Reception/transmission has improved while in poor reception areas. That boat ride cost about $250~ xtra, but as a HAM, I'm sure you can appreciate its value. You really don't need your aircard if you already have access thru your cell - do you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried to use Skype while driving,, it works if you are parked with a decent connection but when you move and the latency goes up and down the VOIP codec cant keep up with the rate of change.. I.E it sounds like crap!!! I think Skype uses SPEEX or the advanced internet one i cant think of the name right now but they are going to give better results over the old G.xxx codecs as they are made for fixed latency service like a T-1 or ISDN... BTW I'm using a Sprint data card EVDO ~ 1.4mbps..

Also i don't use a headset it works just fine with the built in mic in my laptop... as long as the app has good echo reduction it should be fine.. asuming your car is decently quiet inside..

I have a separate data card and a phone for voice calls. The Blackjack II that i have can also back up the data feed by swapping sim cards if the data card gets messed up. I keep a prepaid phone on hand loaded up with a few minutes. this is for backup t the blackjack II and emergency purposes.

I had a at&t GoPhone, but their minutes expire... I'm now looking to switch to another company that maybe the minutes dont expire. haven't really researched that out yet though.

sounds like a prepaid phone is a good option for you at this time. I too thought about VOIP over a cell connection and how it would be cool to have pretty much your entire setup fully integrated like that... but I knew i was pushing the throughput on the connection already at times when i was pulling down level 2 data as well.

You all make good points. I didn't even think about going with a pre-paid phone, I know you can get by pretty cheap on those. That looks like the way I'm going to head until I can get my ticket back. Thanks all.

Wow how could I have missed a VOIP Thread?

Yes the latency on a EVDO connection is going to make a bad VOIP connection, a Rev A. connection will handle a little better.

There is a VOIP Softphone built into SpotterChat, I have not activated the back end equipment to make it work because I did not think the demand was really that high and I have doubts about it working the way I want.

The g729 codec is highly compressed and would work on even a 1x connection however there will be a major delay or 1/2 duplex type conversation.

Back