The real difficulty with the current tornado warning system

"calling just 25 people could take 5 minutes or more, especially if you allow for figuring out what to do with wrong numbers, answering machines, no-answers, etc ..."

As I recall the max is 1000 callers per minute, but to reach those numbers cost notably more than the typical 100-200 per minute.

"calling just 25 people could take 5 minutes or more, especially if you allow for figuring out what to do with wrong numbers, answering machines, no-answers, etc ..."

As I recall the max is 1000 callers per minute, but to reach those numbers cost notably more than the typical 100-200 per minute.
[/b]

Sure with some kind of automated system ... but I'm reading this to mean local people simply making calls themselves to people on a list ... the Guard Online story mentions 25 people calling 25 people each, and also 35 families being sufficient for 975 people in one fire district ... I don't think they're talking about anything automated with those kind of numbers ...

I agree with Kevin. But, I also think they should also have a multi-tiered approach, personally. Even the best automated call systems, and the most dedicated volunteers are subject to phone outages or other problems which would make swiss cheese out of the best planned system. An integrated system is probably just what they need. Sure, use the sirens and the phone systems, but augment them with the local Police or Volunteer Fire Departments sending a unit or two out with loudspeakers to spread warnings when the other systems fail. Better yet, give every family that wants one an NWR-SAME reciever, just like local Volunteer Fire Departments might give out free smoke detectors.

Sure with some kind of automated system ... but I'm reading this to mean local people simply making calls themselves to people on a list ... the Guard Online story mentions 25 people calling 25 people each, and also 35 families being sufficient for 975 people in one fire district ... I don't think they're talking about anything automated with those kind of numbers ...
[/b]

Back