The NWS has done a disservice, what???

What these people are actually clamoring for is censorship, and it's for selfish reasons. In a case like the Linn Co. storm, Time Warner could have interrupted programming across the board to bring people the latest information, and some people would still need more before actually doing something.

They should fire her. Severe T-Storm warnings should not be issued, and the NWS should ONLY issue a Tornado Warning if the tornado is in a city over 10,000 people or if it is at least a half mile wide. If they interrupt Grey's Anatomy one more time, I'm gonna.........

/Can we get a new dead horse? This one is worn out.

I too have family and friends in Georgia. My brother is in Albany. I called to let them know about the storm. A friend in Cuthburt didn't believe them and didn't know about any severe weather in the area. I talked to him and let him know that there was a storm approaching with a good possibility of a tornado as well. He took ME seriously and kept alert. Luckily the storm just missed him to the north.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, Walt Disney was born in the Chicago area and grew up in Marcelline, MO (near IRK, on the BNSF Railway). He lived in KC as a teenager and young man before moving to California.

Unfortunately, those relatively few whiners do have an effect on programming, some news directors will kowtow. It all depends on the quality of the people at the respective station. Fielding those nasty calls is a &*%@$, but is a part of the business.

The public is generally apathetic to anything that doesn't affect them directly. For entertainment and ratings, weather is pushed, both stories on it and competition leading to coverage of actual events, and given given the melodramatic crap it's no wonder people are tuning it out.

As for the NWS criticism in this case, that doesn't even merit comment. I do, however, advocate raising the severe criteria (at the very least for hail).

Unfortunately, those relatively few whiners do have an effect on programming, some news directors will kowtow.

"Gentlemen, we got 20 calls about the David Hyde-Pierce incident. And as you know, one call equals a billion people, which means 20 billion people were offended by this. Needless to say, something must be done."

- FCC Suit #1; Family Guy 4.14 "PTV"

Sounded familiar to me, anyway...

Anytime a Program Director, or News Director puts recorded entertainment programming above broadcasting emergency information live as it happens, he or she needs to be fired on the spot. Also, if the management of the TV station does nothing about it, the FCC should revoke their license on the spot.

Totally Agree with everyone. Most tornado deaths can be prevented, if the people just pay attention. On the other hand, people mostly depend on TV break in's, But what is the point of the station thats cares more about making 20 people happy by not srewing up a Basketball game, than the other 100,000 viewers that depends on them when severe weather is occuring . Some TV stations care more about public satisfation than public safety, and there needs to be something done about this.

I agree. I am surprised there are hardly any severe weather related fatalities in my country, because our media is the one they dream about. Actually, I know a very good way how to transmit live sports results(and also newsflashs about severe weather), but what your country hardly uses: Teletext!

No offence but Grey's anatomy is stupid. The one episode I saw a nurse was about to bang (have sex) with a patient and she got caught and nothing was done about it. In real life she would have been fired.

I saw the thread and I think it is rediculous. What if a tornado had hit a big city? It's always best to be safe than sorry.

*scratches head*

Sarcasm detector broken? lol

I think they might have closed the thread or something, unless the entire forum is dead. I posted a few times, but gave up on trying to explain the situation to them anymore. They don't want to see it any way other than their own.

Let's please try to keep this on-topic. Discussion of Grey's Anatomy, while perhaps nice, is not considered to be "on-topic". Gracias!

Throwing in my 2 cents worth here. Here is exactly how some people acted in dumas, AR 10 minutes after the EF-3 ripped thru there. I asked several people about the warning they had, and more than one person this, "The sirens went off about 5-10 minutes before the tornado hit, but we had NO WARNING at all!!" Huh? These people said they heard the warnings, but for whatever reason, didn't think it meant a tornado??? Was this an excuse? I really don't think so. That was amazing to me.

Another thing.....I turned my XM off, and tuned into local FM radio stations for 30 minutes leading up to the Dumas tornado, and NOT ONE radio station was broadcasting the tornado warning, let alone a live broadcast of any kind. I even made the comment on video, that I was shocked at the ignorance and failure to take this situation seriously. I left the radio on "scan" for over 10 minutes, until I couldn't take it anymore, then left it with a station that broadcast out of Little Rock, and FINALLY heard the tornado warning mentioned. This was unreal.

So in summary, radio and TV stations that DO broadcast live get knocked, but radio and TV stations that fail to provide news and safety options to their listeners should be taken off the air. I just wonder if ANYONE may have been saved from injury, or possible death, had some radio station bothered to tell them this is serious. But.....until people take these sirens seriously, maybe the first step would be more public eduation...who knows?

Hi Steve :), that is a very good point right there and definitely another problem that needs to be addressed :)

I would've thought that after 5/3/99 and now after the recent sad events of Enetrprise, AL and Campus, GA, that alot of people would've been a bit more aware of when a tornado siren is sounding, that it's time for them to take cover in the basement, bathtub or storm cellar, (After all, it's not like a mile wide beast, is going to stand there and wait for everyone to move, nor is it going to pick up a phone to say "I'M COMING TO GET YOU!!!!!!" :) lol) but like Steve has said, this is not the case and I feel that there should be more public education on severe weather, but good, accurate and easy to follow information :)

I looked on youtube yesterday, and there was a video clip from a news channel describing how tornadoes form, and I couldn't believe a few of the things that they goofed up on, and as I was watching, I was thinking to myself, "How are these people on the air?", they classified a mesocyclone as a type of severe thunderstorm, instead of being part of a supercell, and they stated that the main dangers during a supercell was Thunder, Lightning, etc, but someone forgot to tell them that Thunder is the aftershock effect of a lightning strike :) lol

In the end of the day, we can only try our best, as we're all only human :)

Willie

Back