The Life Cycle of a Colorado Thundersnow Storm - 4/21/20

John Farley

Supporter
On April 21, I was able to observe nearly the entire life cycle of a thundersnow storm in Colorado, from when it started as a billowing cumulus cloud south of Pagosa Springs to more than two hours later, by which time it had grown upscale into a long band of snow, graupel (snow pellets), rainshowers, and thunderstorms extending from east of Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado back southwest across the South San Juan Wilderness, through the Chromo, Colorado area, and into northern New Mexico. On the website linked below, I document my observations with a series of photos presented in chronological order from around 3:40 p.m. to just after 6:00 p.m. and discussion of what was going on with the storm as it developed and gradually changed in character. Also a short video clip of graupel/snow pellets and thunder. I would note that I observed the storm in a safe, socially-distanced manner, traveling only about 30 miles form home and having no contact with anyone else throughout my observations of the storm.

Back