The events leading up to the traffic Jam in SW OKC on May 31st 2013

A massive supercell put down a violent wedge tornado moving east out of El Reno towards the SW OKC and the suburbs in that area. This comes just a week after the Moore tornado where everyone in the country heard the amazing stories of the people who left there homes and survived while also hearing the stories of the people who stayed and were injured or killed if not below ground. It wasn't hard to see what would happen if another storm came towards the OKC area. Just the day before we were chasing storms near Guthrie and we were discussing how bad traffic would be in OKC if it were to happen yet again.

Well the next day it looked to be happening yet again and luckily it didn't avoiding what would have probably been one of the deadliest tornadoes in history. I've gone over the issues in my head repeatedly and voiced my concerns to the NWS in Norman but it feels like it is falling on deaf ears.

The tornado was moving down I-40 between El Reno and the city and someone made the call to shut down the interstates. Meanwhile you had multiple Mets on Television talking about needing to be below ground to survive just as they did in the 1999 and 2013 Moore tornadoes.

You have NWS official stance of taking shelter in place even though I disagree with it in most cases, the reason behind them sticking to shelter in place is because of the possibility of the massive traffic jam everyone leaving at once could cause and end up being a disaster with families caught in vehicles.

Everything came together for a perfect disaster on the May 31st.

Back in El Reno you had a State Trooper block the Hwy 81 south corridor forcing all the chasers that didn't get hit by the tornado to the East into the Mustang area. Meanwhile, the interstate system was shut down in SW OKC. To the north of I-40 there were reports of larger than softball size hail but almost all areas along and north of 40 were getting at least baseball size hail. You had the areas from Union City to Mustang to SW Oklahoma South of I-40 and West of I-35 in panic. Residents opted to try and flee the area because of two major areas of rotation moving into the city, the visual of the wedge in El Reno heading towards them and mixed reports of the tornado being on the ground. So now all the people in this areas hop in their car and can't go north because of the interstate closure and hail. They can't go East because of the interstate closure. They can't go West because of the possibility of driving into a violent tornado. The only option left is to go South but their is only one place to cross the Canadian River to the south. To complicate matters there were hundreds of storm chasers being forced East into mustang because of Hwy 81 being blocked south. It turned the highly populated residential area into a giant parking lot. For those of us that were stuck in this mess, you could see vehicles loaded up with the entire family including the family pets. These people were incredibly frightened and it was chaotic.

I understand shutting an interstate down for a couple mile stretch when a tornado is moving through on a direct path in an unpopulated area. It is a smart move that can save lives. However, in this situation it was the worst possible thing that could have been done. Had the El Reno tornado stayed on the ground similar to Moore just the previous week there would have been thousands of vehicles full of families stuck in the tornado. The death count would have probably been in the thousands. Had there been a strong tornado the cars that were stopped on the interstate by the closure would have been hit anyway so it wouldn't have done any good from the start.

Here is a quick drawing on paint that illustrates the problems. The purple lines is where the hail got very large. The red lines is about where the interstates where closed. I didn't highlight the Canadian River but you can see it at bottom and the only place to cross.
Oklahomacitytornadotraffic.jpg

Attachments

• Oklahomatornadotraffic.jpg
    Oklahomatornadotraffic.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 396
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why you disagree with the policy of having people take shelter in their shelter. Driving away offers PLENTY of disadvantages unless you have NO shelter at all.

I'm not sure why you disagree with the policy of having people take shelter in their shelter. Driving away offers PLENTY of disadvantages unless you have NO shelter at all.
I dont.

If people have actual shelters then they should use them. If they have little or no lead time they should take shelter in the lowest level, interior room.

Im talking about these massive long track tornadoes with huge lead times. Storms like the may 3rd storm, like the april 27th storms, like the moore tornado. If I told you a freight train was going to hit your home in 30 minutes and you dont have an underground option then what would you do?

I'm also curious why you disagree with sheltering in place. There's this misguided notion going around that a violent tornado isn't survivable above ground.. that simply isn't true. For perspective:

http://www.livingontherealworld.org/?p=899

I'd take my chances in an interior room on the lowest floor before I would in a vehicle any day.

Edit: Just saw your latest post. I think there are times where evacuating is a good idea -- if you're in a mobile home, if you're in a rural area and you know for certain that you have enough lead time, etc. But doing so on little lead time or in a populated area is just asking for disaster.

I'm also curious why you disagree with sheltering in place. There's this misguided notion going around that a violent tornado isn't survivable above ground.. that simply isn't true. For perspective:

http://www.livingontherealworld.org/?p=899

I'd take my chances in an interior room on the lowest floor before I would in a vehicle any day.

Edit: Just saw your latest post. I think there are times where evacuating is a good idea -- if you're in a mobile home, if you're in a rural area and you know for certain that you have enough lead time, etc. But doing so on little lead time or in a populated area is just asking for disaster.
It worked fine for the people in Moorev both times. Worked in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham. The reason it wouldnt have worked in the Mustang area is because the best option to evacuate is to drive south. In this case there was only one place to cross the river and every other option was closed off. I dont think people should have tried to outrun the storm in this area for many reasons. The biggest being the lack of roads. No confirmed violent tornado confirmed on the ground as it moved into the area and it is a residential in the evening when everyone is home.

However, I also think shutting down the interstates simply complicates the situation in every way and offers zero help on multiple levels.

If you live in a mobile home, your home is not shelter; there are no "interior rooms" in any meaningful sense, and it won't take a violent tornado to kill you. I would say you have a higher chance of survival by getting into your car as tornadic storms approach the area and driving out of the danger zone.

I understand what you all are saying and your point of views. However, blocking any roads in an emergency like this is just asinine. That is almost certain death for some and it traps people. As someone recently posted, I truly hope this isn't what was the cause of the Team Twistex loss.

Brandon, are you saying highway 81 was closed after the chasers were hit? That would be a major escape route going south to Union City during the event.

So the outcome may have possibly been different had US-81 not been shut down by the State Police? Sounds like this may need an administrative review if this is the case...

I think that telling people to get in their car and try to outrun a tornado or supercell is borderline illegal. For one thing this storm moved unpredictably, for another flooding led to many roads being flooded or washed out making escape impossible. Third any tornado would have been rain wrapped and invisible until it was on top of you and too late. Do we know if this led to anyone deaths because if it did Mike Morgan and KFOR are partly responsible for their deaths and in my eyes should be criminally charged. I have never in 20 years heard anyone to tell people to do that and it goes against one of the golden rules of tornado safety we all here know by heart.

I don't know the timeline of events here; do you think the roads being closed had anything to do with Tim being killed? If so, that makes me outraged. I wondered (and still do) if something else didn't play into it; Tim was a veteran, and he knew when he was pushing the limits, at least from what I've seen of him. I can't imagine that he would allow himself to be trapped. Either the tornado made a HARD turn, or roads were closed, or something, IMHO.

Brandon, are you saying highway 81 was closed after the chasers were hit? That would be a major escape route going south to Union City during the event.

No. I am saying a single trooper blocked hwy 81 south which was our south exit to avoid the tornado. This forced everyone to try and outrun the tornado on gravel and mud roads heading east. It directly resulted in several chasers being overtaken by the tornado. Im not sure how many. Im not sure if Tim and his crew were in the number. I dont know if the TWC truck was hit because of this. I do know I wasnt alone. I also heard Patti Moon who had some great video with KOCO 5 mention the 81 blocking which put them in the position to almost get hit.There were about 10-12 cars at the intersection where this trooper blocked the road with many more behind us and coming south down 81 so it had to be quite a few.

No. I am saying a single trooper blocked hwy 81 south which was our south exit to avoid the tornado. This forced everyone to try and outrun the tornado on gravel and mud roads heading east. It directly resulted in several chasers being overtaken by the tornado. Im not sure how many. Im not sure if Tim and his crew were in the number. I dont know if the TWC truck was hit because of this. I do know I wasnt alone. I also heard Patti Moon who had some great video with KOCO 5 mention the 81 blocking which put them in the position to almost get hit.There were about 10-12 cars at the intersection where this trooper blocked the road with many more behind us and coming south down 81 so it had to be quite a few.

When you reached the roadblock why did anybody have to go back north and back toward the path of the tornado? Why not just stop there and wait for it to pass north of your position?

If it was because you were worried that the tornado might catch you at the blocked intersection, surely you wouldn't expect the trooper to sit there and let the tornado hit him rather than let you pass.

Back