"Terror, twisters & TV"

"They have a marketing department (or "hype machine") driving them to play up events."

I don't know that I have ever heard of a station's marketing department request the weather side to overplay an event. Usually the way it comes out is the news side doesn't pay attention to our forecasts, so the toss is "big tornado day possible?" and we have to figure out how to tone that down without making the anchor look ridiculous.

"I did hear the HEMSI report of a tornado but don't remember it being labeled as F-5 at the time, though, and think that none of our mets would report as verbatim something that requires a daylight damage survey to verify."

One of the TV mets did state that based on radar signatures and the spotter report it likely was doing F4-F5 damage. I will allow your imagination to guess which one.

Yep, rdale, I heard that statement too. There were numerous assertions that a large/violent tornado WAS underway. Something in the system was broken that night.

One of the TV mets did state that based on radar signatures and the spotter report it likely was doing F4-F5 damage. I will allow your imagination to guess which one.
[/b]

No imagination required. It's the same one who was suggested to be 'honored' a few years back by a few little decorative and hangable wooden placques with a cotton boll on them and a legend below reading:

"____ _________ WALL CLOUD"

I was watching another met during most of that cell and must have missed it--surely, a serious gaffe by any estimate.

I am in full agreement with the NWS being the only source for tornado warnings. I do appreciate those on tv who say things like "it's probably only a short time before a warning will be issued for this cell," giving us a good heads-up and yet leaving the offical work to the Service.

I do appreciate those on tv who say things like "it's probably only a short time before a warning will be issued for this cell"
[/b]

I don't agree with that... What if the NWS doesn't issue a warning? Then you look like you don't know what you are doing. Just say what you think - "if I lived in xxxtown I would be taking cover from this storm, even though there is no warning from the weather service." The ball stays in your court - if they don't issue a warning you can still keep viewers updated without continually checking in and saying "they might issue a warning soon!" Viewers don't care if they are going to be issuing a warning "soon"...

England has developed a reputation of being right over many years. If he legitimately sees a dangerous storm that has a high tornadic potential, he actually calls spotters and law enforcement in the areas and tries to confirm what's going on. He goes on, only when he has ground truth confirmation, sometimes from multiple sources, including the NWS, of what's actually going on. That's the difference. Does that mean he doesn't make mistakes? No, but when England is on the air, there usually is very little confusion. When he interrupts, he has a reason.

The reason for calling the WFO is not to ask permission, it's a reality check. It's to coordinate, and to make sure that what you see and potentially show is legit, and not just a glitch on the radar screen. That's the issue. There is nothing wrong with going on and talking about a storm you're concerned about, but make sure you've actually got something before you cut in. That will stop a lot of complaints before they start. It also rings true for all-clear cut ins. A Little Rock station once had a TV Met tell viewers to ignore sirens, and come out of shelter, even though there was still a valid Tornado Warning in effect. Needless to say, he's no longer on TV.

Damon Poole

You don't think it causes confusion when Gary issues a Tornado Warning, but as people flip through stations or look for the bulletin online and see only a SVR (or even nothing) from NWS?
I'm not sure I understand the issue... Are you saying some mets break in just for heavy rain and call it something else? I rarely show NEXRAD products on-air, and I never call the WFO to ask their permission to break in ;> One advantage in our sector is that we can go on and explain specific concerns about a storm. For NWS either the light is on (warning issued) or off (no warning.) SPS products are starting to make headway, but that gets quite limited airplay (other than on TWC.)
[/b]

Back