Taking Pictures of Lightning with Digital Camera

Karla Dorman

I have a small point and shoot digital (Kodak Easy Share 8.2 megapixel) camera, and am wondering what is the best way to take pictures of lightning. There is a tiny bit of a "time delay" between shutter click and capture.

Some of us can't afford "the big guns" (expensive cameras that allow you to hold a longer exposure).

I am grateful there is video capability, seems to be the only way I can really capture a bolt! *sigh* If I DO manage to capture one, it's off to the side, not centered. Grrrrrrrr ...

Is it a matter of trial and error then? The instruction book that came with the camera has nothing about longer exposures.

I'd LOVE to be able to capture some lightning like most of y'all have - I'm jealous! LOL Until I can figure out this "problem," I'll just enjoy your images. And pray one day I'll get some beautiful CG or anvil crawler stills.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I'm no expert, but I have been able to do it with some success. You will have to put the camera on 'manual' and adjust the camera's settings by yourself.

First of all, you will need a tripod. The tripod will keep the camera absolutely still. This will be necessary because you will need to have a long exposure/shutter speed set to 4-8 seconds. Maybe more - up to 10 or more seconds.

You may need to set the aperture between f/3.2 to f/6 next. Focus the field in which you want with the focus ring. You may also want to set the ISO/sensitivity to ISO 200. Flash should be turned 'off'. Most new cameras have a built-in zoom lens, so you will need to set it to the widest possible view that is possible with the camera. Anywhere from 10mm to 30mm focal length is possible. That is where you will want to do in order to get enough of the surroundings in the picture. Put the sky in the top 2/3 of the picture and set the ground in the bottom 1/3. Having a decent foreground subject will help the content of the photo.

You may have to take several shots doing it this way, because lightning can't be told to strike - this is obvious enough!. Just keep taking picture after picture continously - and you will end up capturing some lightning shots - just keep snapping with about 6-8 seconds of shutter exposure. Patience will be paid. You can sort it all out back home on the computer. Lightning photography is like a box of chocolates; you'll never know what you are going to get. So, it will be important to compose the picture thru the eye piece to what you consider desirable before you take a series of 10-20 shots on the tripod. Experimenting will be the best and only way to refine for best results. Expect a couple of not-so-good attempts before you find the balance of setting that will dial it all in correctly.

Also, it would be best to learn all of the features and buttons on your camera. This is an invaluable thing to do. Newer cameras are capable of quite a lot - but you must become acquainted with the buttons and what they do if you are to be successful.

This is neither a definitive or exhausted explanation of what you've asked. I suggest that you experiment with the settings that I have given and work with them and get to know your camera. There are many sites available on the internet that can explain how to use cameras and their basic functions and principles. Practices wins the day - nothing more or less. People can spend a great deal of time learning and experimenting with their cameras to milk all of the benefits from it. Give yourself some time and have patience and keep trying. Experiment and read more when you hit some obstacle.

EDIT: Beware! Taking lightning shots can be VERY dangrous out in a field. No one is really safe when chasing from the great equalizer - lightning! Having your camera on a stand unerneath an awning isn't any safer - but it will keep the water droplets off of your lens/camera. I've used a window mount in my car when out in the field with a remote shutter switch - but that is in NO WAY SAFE!
Be CAREFUL!

Last edited by a moderator:
What Rob said. :)

A quick search suggests that the camera doesn't have an aperture priority mode. Try the fireworks or 'night shot' presets. Also look for a manual focus mode, otherwise the camera may hunt or even refuse to fire if it can't focus on something in the dark. Lowest ISO usually works best with P/S cameras, but feel free to experiment. Make sure it's not in auto-ISO mode, or else the camera may perform inconsistently. Once these issues are addressed, blaze away! You'll catch something!

(Just for grins, you could grab an old SLR film body and lens for around 30 bucks and have some real fun! :D )

-Greg

I checked the specs for your camera and it appears the longest exposure is like 4 seconds. The max aperature is like 5.5. This would work on some shots with a very active storm. Be prepared to take many many pics and with a little luck and persistence, you should catch something. :)

The real trick is correctly focusing at night. As Greg said, you need to be able to manually control the focus or at least "lock" it once it focuses. In addition, a tripod is essential.

For close CG bolts, ISO 100 should be your setting. Further away, adjust up to 400...anything more is way too grainy.

As far as the "big guns" cameras, as an example, I'm using an old Rebel 350D which you can find for under $500 and a good used under $400 on eBay. Other folks might be able to suggest some other SLR cameras too. I even believe that there are some P&S cameras out there now for even less that allow manual control similar to SLRs which are even less. But, to get the really good shots, a decent SLR is the only way to go IMO.

With exposures of 4 seconds. You will go through some frames! But it's within reason to catch a bolt in that time frame. Thank god for digital !LOL otherwise, wow would you go thru some film!

When I first stated I had no clue about lightning. I shot 10 rolls of slide film and got......... nothing! :rolleyes: Right then and there I found out I needed to know more about lightning then photography :D
Learn all about it.

Like Rob said Shooting lightning can be VERY dangrous. It's no joke this stuff can & will kill you.

Thanks for all the help. Need all of it I can get!! LOL

Am very aware of lightning's danger, I try not to stand in the open or around trees, making myself an instant lightning rod (especially with my cane). Most of the time, I stand inside, by the window, looking out and up, and hope I can capture a bolt. Don't want to catch it by having it catch me! LOL

A few images from past PorchChases - the middle one my favorite.

Attachments

• July '07 022.jpg
    July '07 022.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 402
  • July '07 056.jpg
    July '07 056.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 426
  • updated pics 42607 714.jpg
    updated pics 42607 714.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 402
I'm glad this question was asked, I had always wondered how these remarkable lightning shots were taken. Great reflexes maybe? :D Just another reason I need an SLR! :p

Looks like you're already off to a great start Karla, enjoy!

One thing that I failed to mention, is that the settings above were meant for night time photography. If you are taking daytime lightning shots, the exposure time and the amount of exposures will change dramatically. It is harder to catch lightning during the daylight - and much easier at night. I shot all of mine during the night - I've had zero experience shooting during daylight. That is a horse of another color...

Hi Karla, shooting lightning for myself is a blast. I like the challenge and will even try to beat the odds of catching a daylight bolt. Basically what you want to do is watch for lightning that pulses. If your fast enough and wait for the first bolt and press your shutter instantly you might get lucky to capture the immediate bolt that follows. It takes a while to get your finger to react quickly but if you constantly try you will at least catch one out of maybe 15. All depends on how fast you are.

Night time lightning is funner and easier like most have mentioned. Just set your camera to the Longest Exposure which is 4 seconds in your case. You will find that in Manual Mode and just set your F stop to about F-5.6 and use an Iso of around 200. First thing you want to do is setup your camera on a tripod. Second you need to find where the bolts are occuring. Focus on that area. Then you need to count the seconds in between bolts. The faster they occur, the more likely you will capture a bolt. Once you have figured the seconds a bolt hits, just time it to your 4 seconds that your shutter will be open and cross your fingers. Processing times for a Point and shoot will be your only problem with taking a picture quickly again. Just keep in mind the seconds between each bolt and stick to a rhythm.

In most cases, you will notice when the storm starts to dissipate. The lightning will occur less and less frequent and eventually get to the point where timing your camera to a bolt gets difficult. The more time you watch lightning and take pictures, the easier it becomes to time it all.

Good Luck and have fun.....

here is a very nicely done up write up on how to shoot lighting.

http://www.weatherscapes.com/techniques.php?cat=lightning&page=lightning

I got my first lightning pic back in May near Hutchinson, KS, it was definitely a luck shot though, because I was riding in the back seat of Steve Hutchinson's Pathfinder, and I was in action mode, so I'm pretty fortunate it didn't come out all blurry.

IMG_7793.jpg

I'm pretty lucky, there's a road out here that has to have a big iron deposit under it cause I get very focused lightening. My easiest to use camera is a P&S Canon A640. I go to manual mode and set the focus to manual and to infinity. I then set the aperture to F8 and ISO to 200. Set the exposure to 30 seconds and continuous shoot mode. I also have a waterproof case for the camera so I'll set it out in the weather, let it shoot till the memory card gets full or batteries die.

I also have a rather pricey DSLR Canon XTi but really the smaller A640 is so much easier. Especially when you want to be quick to setup and tear down.

Lightening_079_%28Small%29.jpg

Nice shots everyone. :) Looks like your well on the way Karla :):)

My favorite, not my best LOL just my favorite. LOL

called in "Lightning family" ... papa bolt, mama bolt and baby bolt :p

Shot back I was still shooting Slides.
Standing just off the pier.

Lightning1.jpg

IMO- it really isn't hard to take down nor put up a DLSR or point-n-shoot. When one gets use to a tool, they know how to make it work for them. Tripods, window mounts, and bean bags hold either type of camera just as quickly an efficiently. The ultimate difference between the one piece camera and the DLSR is the glass.

I think the newer cameras have great potential and capapcity to do much. I have a Minolta 'Dimage' that I feel is still a great little camera. But if one really wants to make a picture 'jump out' at you; then having a decent DSLR body and some fancy glass in manual mode - is really hard to beat. Regardless if it is a Nikon or Canon - or other.

The 10-22mm wide-angle and the 50mm tele lens - IMO - really bring accuracy and fullness to its best for landscapes and storm chasing. I'm using Canon as an example - of course. Lenses have made so many improvements over the last decade that it is hard to compare most other lenses of bygone days. The amount of lens distortion in point-n-shoot cameras just isn't the same quality as the DSLR - IMO. Of course - all lenses will have distortion - some more than others being the point. I think the basic DSLR bodies can and have done more pro work they one did expected them to. They are a lot of camera - for less money. It really is a question of how much one expects from their camera and what one is willing to pay for it...

Karla do you know what model specifically your camera is? I see Kodak has a few different 8.2 MP cameras out right now.

Some great information in this thread. I was just out tonight for about an hour trying to catch some of the fantastic crawlers off the backside of the MCS now rolling through SE Wisconsin. Not much luck...the best bolts were coming out about once every 4-5 mins. I managed to catch one that went from one side of the frame to the other but the 50D over exposed it. I might have something salvageable once I get a chance to look at it in Photoshop. Still learning the new camera though, so hopefully the next round of storms will treat me better. :)

Back