Superdome/Convention Center Solutions

Let's not hack each other's solutions to utter bits but also let's put our heads together and come up with something we might think would work.

My solution:
ASAP - a massive MRE & water drop as close to the Superdome as possible - inform all around Superdome that this is coming - remember our efforts in Afghanistan? - It can and should be done

1. Get buses, however many you can
2. Evac Injured, Women, & Children
3. Evac rest as more buses become available

Originally posted by Edward Ballou
Let's not hack each other's solutions to utter bits but also let's put our heads together and come up with something we might think would work.

My solution:
ASAP - a massive MRE & water drop as close to the Superdome as possible - inform all around Superdome that this is coming - remember our efforts in Afghanistan? - It can and should be done

inform people in charge only because telling everyone will get a whole bunch of people killed

Originally posted by Kevin Bowman+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kevin Bowman)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Edward Ballou

My solution:

inform people in charge only because telling everyone will get a whole bunch of people killed[/b]

Exactly, get someone in charge, where to lead the people...telling them - you go here, you go there...

Although I think the situation might have changed in the last hour or so -- this morning there was NO authority figures at the convention center. Dropping food/water into the middle of a situation like that would spawn a riot and people would tear each other apart.

i guess at the convention center there are rapes and beatings going on, if you are caught raping or beating anyone you should be killed on the spot

Originally posted by Kevin Bowman
i guess at the convention center there are rapes and beatings going on, if you are caught raping or beating anyone you should be killed on the spot

what's your source?

Originally posted by Lisa Wadlow+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lisa Wadlow)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kevin Bowman

what's your source?[/b]

From WWLTV.com

4:15 P.M. - (AP): Police say storm victims are being raped and beaten inside the New Orleans Convention Center.

About 15,200 people who had taken shelter at the convention center to await buses grew increasingly hostile.

Police Chief Eddie Compass says he sent in 88 officers to quell the situation at the building, but they were quickly beaten back by an angry mob.

Compass says, \"We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are getting beaten.\"

He says tourists are walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon.

In hopes of defusing the unrest at the convention center, Mayor Ray Nagin gave the refugees permission to march across a bridge to the city's unflooded west bank for whatever relief they can find. But the bedlam appeared to make leaving difficult.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG...OG.ac3fcea.html

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
Originally posted by Lisa Wadlow@
<!--QuoteBegin-Kevin Bowman

what's your source?

From WWLTV.com

4:15 P.M. - (AP): Police say storm victims are being raped and beaten inside the New Orleans Convention Center.

About 15,200 people who had taken shelter at the convention center to await buses grew increasingly hostile.

Police Chief Eddie Compass says he sent in 88 officers to quell the situation at the building, but they were quickly beaten back by an angry mob.

Compass says, \"We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are getting beaten.\"

He says tourists are walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon.

In hopes of defusing the unrest at the convention center, Mayor Ray Nagin gave the refugees permission to march across a bridge to the city's unflooded west bank for whatever relief they can find. But the bedlam appeared to make leaving difficult.

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html[/b]

thanks i heard it on WGN radio here in chicago also

Thanks Jeff for the source. This is insane! It really is beyond belief. The 88 officers sent in should have shot the people who were fighting them. This has gone too far. I say they should shoot anyone who is being violent so that they can get to all the other people to rescue them. They have put up with too much crap.

I bet all the terroritst are just watching this stuff and laughing their butts off at America right now. You'd think this was a third world country by what is going on.

Spanish news is reporting that there was (at least as of this morning) a Spanish MP trapped in the convention center with her family. The Spanish embassy has contacted Washington and has been demanding something... be it food or water, be dispatched to the convention center... its sad when a foreign government's complaint is required to get the US to do something that'll help its own citizens.

Originally posted by Lisa Wadlow
Thanks Jeff for the source. This is insane! It really is beyond belief. The 88 officers sent in should have shot the people who were fighting them. This has gone too far. I say they should shoot anyone who is being violent so that they can get to all the other people to rescue them. They have put up with too much crap.

ya its about time that if you put up resistance you are dealt with, no more arrests, if you start to get violent you are just killed.

Unfortunately, for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which being safety, airdrop is just not feasible in such an urban environment. But you are certainly on the right track. Relief supples have to get there, and it has to be by air. Chinooks and Jolly Greens can put a LOT of water and food in a very specific spot very quickly, and that should be being done.

It appears that up until very recently, they were so focused on evacuation that they put relief on the back burner. I suppose there is a certain amount of wisdom on concentrating on taking people to the food and water rather than taking the food and water to them, since they have to be evacuated anyhow. But clearly this has taken about four days too long and they are going to have to adjust their priorities.

Back