StormReportMap.com -- An Interactive Look at Today's Weather

Some of you have already seen this, thank you for your input and ideas. I've decided to go ahead and make it "live", however, I would still consider it to be in beta stages.

http://www.stormreportmap.com

What is it? After seeing chicagocrime.com website that uses crime data posted by the Chicago Police Dept, I thought it would be cool to take storm report data posted by the SPC and put it into Google Maps. You can scroll, zoom in and out, and click on the icons to see where the report was received.

I did it mainly to see if I could actually do it, and decided that it would warrant it's own domain and host (Thanks to David Drummond and Drylinehosting). Once I got it working, I added a database to increase I/O speed and perhaps show some of the biggest storm days received so far.

Anyways.. I hope you like it and I always like feedback!

I think this is a VERY cool deal! You can filter, zoom, click-for-details, see on a satellite land map, etc... Google maps is awesome to begin with, and the integration of SPC Prelim Storm Reports with GMaps is an awesome idea! No more guessing where 3 SSW Anadarko is relative to my own chase log if I can just zoom in to see.... Cool stuff!

Very nice... once I figure out how to tweak our Nav bar I'll have to put it up there along with StormWiki, et al.

Tim

Thanks for all the kind comments guys! I really appreciate them.

If you have any ideas on how to make it better, please let me know.

Back