StormChaseGame.Com

Bump. :) Remember that chase entries have to be in before 0530z. :D

Man I just realized this is for all severe weather, and you get points for everything including hail and wind. I thought this was all about tornado reports. Ah well, I put my target for tomorrow.

"Please, sign up before registration ends on February 28th at 12:00 PM"

So...Can we not register anymore? I dont frequent this site as much as I used to, but this does sound like fun and sorry I didnt get in before this, I actually have had 2 of my forecasts verify the last week and a half but couldnt chase either day, but this does sound like fun on days I can not chase.

"Please, sign up before registration ends on February 28th at 12:00 PM"

So...Can we not register anymore? I dont frequent this site as much as I used to, but this does sound like fun and sorry I didnt get in before this, I actually have had 2 of my forecasts verify the last week and a half but couldnt chase either day, but this does sound like fun on days I can not chase.

I actually changed that on the main site.

Registration is open throughout the season. We'd love to have you join. :D

I noticed that the chase map showing where participants have targeted for the day is no longer being posted. FWIW, I targeted Prague, OK for today, April 13, 2014. Storms would have a better chance of remaining discrete further south along the dryline, but forecast convection/precipitation further south didn't seem very encouraging either. So I figured on taking chances with the brief window before the cold front arrives, east of OKC. Posted my discussion/rationale here --> The Cerulean Arc: Virtual Storm Chase - April 13, 2014

Taylor's still been updating the chase map, but he was occupied today and didn't post it until early this afternoon. Anyhow, I targeted Fairfax, OK today. I almost gambled on North Texas where the wind fields looked to be pretty impressive, but I felt the threat was too conditional for a 2x points day and I didn't wanna lose 20. I figured the tornado threat was gonna be pretty minimal further north, so I tried to find a balance where I'd cash in on the hail/wind reports when the front came through, which I felt was more of a sure thing, while maintaining some proximity to the triple point on the off chance that we could get a quick tornadic supercell before the front crashed and totally undercut everything.

It looks like I have a handful of hail/wind reports within 30-40 miles, so at least I scored something. Better than losing points.

Looks like according to SPC reports I got 5 hail/wind reports and 1 tornado report within 50 miles of my target (Mannsville, OK). The 4km NAM got me that target, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that tor report even on the cold front storms.

I'm guessing that even though SPC downgraded the MDT risk in the morning, that it was still double XP?

At least goofing up my assessment of that aggressive cold front is easier to take virtually...I would hope that seeing the morning's simulated HRRR reflectivity would have prompted me southward toward a better looking dryline. If not that, then hopefully this awesome satellite image would have convinced me of how much the cold front meant business at 19Z:

img20140413_Oklahoma_B.jpg

I can't get enough of seeing boundaries light up like that.

If I keep underestimating CFs, I might not get enough of seeing squall line shelf clouds either.

Here's to 20 pts worth of 1-inch hail!

As Shawn said, I was away from my computer/ busy until late afternoon. I apologize for that delay.

Jeremy, thanks for sharing your experiences on your website. That's so cool. :)

Marcus, XP does remain in place regardless of what SPC does in their Day 1 Outlook. By the way, great job scoring a tornado report. You were the only one.

In other related news, the scorecard has been updated following yesterday's chase. Everyone earned points. Also, I made a decision with the opinions of others that the maximum amount of points that you can lose on any unsuccessful chase day will be 10. Losing 20, 30, or 40 points was too many and it led to discouragement in playing certain areas (making you choose safer picks). For example, playing the squall line instead of the discrete activity that had a better shot at producing tornadoes.

You should have received an e-mail about it, but I'll remind you here too. XP is 4X for tomorrow because of the Day 2 MOD risk. Tomorrow, Monday, and possibly even Tuesday will be a good time to catch up or get ahead. Going to be a busy next couple of days.

Just a friendly reminder that points earned tomorrow will be worth 5X their original value, so don't forget to make an entry. It would be a lot of potential points missed out on if you did. :)

Hey all! It's been a long time. I forgot my email on file so I had to create another account. The game is back online. Please visit and register at stormchasegame.com if you would like to play. Thank you!

Thank you all who have joined. If you haven't already please visit stormchasegame.com and register to play. There's an enhanced risk tomorrow if you want to get an entry in.

Sorry the website has been down for just about the last two months. I had a backup of something else overwrite everything. I haven't had the time to pull all the pieces together until now. It's back online if you are interested.

Back