Storm Chasers + Weather Reporting grad thesis

Scott.Kraushaar

Hey everyone... I'm working on my masters thesis and am wondering if any of you weather enthusiasts who have done a little spotting or chasing in the past (should be just about everyone on here...) would like to take a quick survey. I imagine many of you are a little sick of this winter weather and are suffering from a little SDS, so if you have 20-30 minutes to talk about severe weather please help me out!

The SurveyMonkey link here gives a better explanation of what I am trying to do, but basically the purpose of this is to find out how large a role storm chasers play in severe weather operations by making reports to the NWS and what methods they employ to do so. In addition, I am asking a few other questions about why you chase storms, what equipment you use, and where you chase. Please note that this is completely voluntary and your responses are anonymous and confidential.

A little bit about myself since this is my first post here on Stormtrack... I'm currently a geography grad student at Mizzou, originally from Minnesota. I've been casually spotting/chasing storms for almost 10 years now and while I enjoy it as a hobby, my career has ventured away from meteorology off into the realm of GIS and remote sensing.

I have received permission from the moderators and from Tim V. to post this, so if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to post here or to send me a PM. I really appreciate all of the support I have already received from the online community! Thanks!

I took your survey and want to wish you the best of luck with your masters thesis Scott.

Welcome to the board, Scott. I completed one for you and I certainly hope many others on this forum do, too.

As a fellow grad student, I laud you in your choice and wish you the best of luck in your studies.

Agreed.

I completed it as well and hope the community as a whole can give you the proper information for your thesis.

Good luck!

I took the survey as well. Nice job on question selection and allowing for short "essay-type" answers. I wish you best of luck on your studies and thesis.

drop me an email. The SpotterNetwork members (15,000+) are about due for the once a year Newsletter and if it lines up with your timeline I can add it to the Newsletter.

Thanks everyone so far for the kind words and for your time!

Edit: I'm not sure if any of my results will be any real news to the chasing community... but yah if I'm happy with my writing I could probably post the link after everything goes down... I think the school posts it publicly anyway regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump

I'm bumping this for anyone who hasn't taken it... so far I've had great responses but one of my committee members has an issue with sample size... so I need more!! Please help me out if you have 20-30 minutes to kill to talk about your chasing tendencies and whether or not you make storm reports by any method.

Thanks again everyone!
Secure SurveyMonkey Link

Very pleased at your survey. It shows me that I'm woefully in need of some training. Getting to know some of the more abstuse terminology surely can't hurt, but mostly visual coaching in order to pick out a storm's subtle cues.

Back