Stops that are pits

I'll pass on El Paso

Towns/services I like (Plains):

Garden City, KS - nice town, places to stay and several restaurants. Open spaces all around.
Liberal, KS - nice and familiar town, I always seem to be going through there. Dorothy's House is there too, which is a kick!
Wichita Falls, TX - nice town, good inns
Woodward, OK - nice people. I liked the Northwest Inn. The area is very well situated for chasing.
Colby, KS - ok inns, nice travel plaza (the one near the fake palm trees, which always make me laugh)
Aurora, CO - plenty of services when the forecast calls for Colorado.
Boulder, CO - If you end up there and CO doesn't play out...stop by and visit NCAR instead!
Lubbock, TX - The Super 8 is one of the better ones, right on the highway. Well situated town for W TX chasing.
Henryetta, OK - Actually, my experience there was ok. I usually avoid non-chain motels but there was a spotless motel there run by a nice couple.
Tucumcari - NM - doesn't bother me. I found an inn there where I could back my suv up to the door (I like that when I'm by myself, easy to load, etc.).
Sidney, NE - Good services, and I love that ice cold Ogallala Aquifer water that comes from the faucets.
Des Moines, IA - There's a Fairfield Inn west of town (favorite chain). I also like the Bridges of Madison County, very photogenic in Winterset, right nearby. Actually, I'm impressed with Iowa, as a state. I also bought an antique lightning rod in Walnut, IA, which is such a cool little town.
Taos, NM - I'll make an excuse to go there on my way back to Arizona. Love that town, interesting people, nice places to stay, Taos Pueblo, Sangre de Cristo range.

I'll pass on:

El Paso, TX - that industrial border town is just plain creepy and dangerous. I used to be an I-10'er but now I take I-40.
Midland, TX - Feels like a ghost town of a sort, an oil-boom-in-the-80s town. One late night I passed up a Motel 6 after a long day's drive from Arizona. The motels looked pretty run down. I coffeed up and stayed in Lubbock. Not a big Permian Basin fan in general, good services are hard to find.
Wichita, KS - Kellogg Avenue in the month of May is a confusing mass of usually booked motels due to spring soccer, softball and every other tournament in the midwest. Usually I'm able to get some kind of chain-motel room if I call ahead, but one night I braved a non-chain motel at 2am after driving down from Kansas City in really bad weather, desperate for a place to sleep. The only motel available was so bad I slept in my clothes, boots and all, knife in my pocket. The lock on my door didn't work well either. I might have been safer in my car, but the weather was crazy, zero vis at times, and I was "travel tired", you know that feeling? I avoid Wichita when I can, since I know that rooms are hard to find in the Spring. At least they have a Starbucks and the barista was really nice, and from Phoenix.
Kansas City, MO - Not a big fan, it is hilly and trafficky. I stay out of KCMO when I can.
Santa Fe, NM - I used to be a huge Santa Fe fan. There is so much sprawl, traffic and road construction now I avoid it altogether when I'm just passing through. If you want to shop or stay anywhere near the Paseo de Peralta...best to stay in town a couple days and see the sights on foot!
Pueblo, CO - Has a way creepy vibe, kind of industrial. Perhaps the IRS office? LOL
Fort Smith, AR - I should KNOW not to break my rule and chase in that east-of-I35 hill country, but I was enticed by a storm that looked too good to pass up. Good lord! I arrived one late night during "cruise night on main street"! Need I say more? Generally, Fort Smith is way too hilly and full of trees for chasing.

Re: I'll pass on El Paso

Originally posted by Susan Strom
Towns/services I like (Plains):
El Paso, TX - that industrial border town is just plain creepy and dangerous. I used to be an I-10'er but now I take I-40.

Having lived in El Paso for about a year and half, I think your impressions of the place are quite invalid. Granted, I never exactly fell in love with this "Strip Mall City," but it is anything but dangerous.

In fact, El Paso has the lowest murder rate of any major US City (and it IS a big city... population now over 700,000 not including Juarez or Las Cruces). It also ranks second lowest in robberies.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/disp...ols_naked3.html

Most of your drug-related crimes occur across the river... and drug trafficking is mainly done in the New Mexico deserts out west. Even so, I never ran into anyone else but Border Patrol when shooting lightning off NM State Route 9.... sometimes within less than a mile of the border.

That said, El Paso is a fairly ugly city... not because it is "industrial" or "dangerous" ... it is, like many Western cities, blighted by tremendous suburban sprawl. Every road is lined with homogenous, ugly strip malls, fast food restaurants, and big box stores. Some people call this sort of thing paradise.

It's not that bad of place to live, actually. The surrounding Chihuahuan Desert doesn't hold a candle to the Sonoran in Arizona, but it has its charms and beautiful lightning displays during the Monsoon season. I just simply don't like big cities and sprawl... really the only thing I ever had against the place... that and the lack of weather those other 9 months of the year.

-Mike

Back