Spotters in the DFW (NTX) area?

KrissyHeishman

Enthusiast
I would like to get in touch with spotters out here, but I'm not sure where to begin at this point.

A little background..

My name's Krissy. I'm a mechanical/electrical engineering student full-time at UTA, and work as an assistant to a Research Engineer PT. I have a passion for weather systems and the mechanics driving them, as well for the technology used to track and document them. I also have a small background in broadcasting so streaming peaks my interests as well.

I would love to find a group of people locally to chat with and/or go chasing with. I have a few projects I am working on as well for trackers, and would love to talk about them or get some input on them from active trackers. I also have a passion for education and STEM awareness, so if anyone wants to get together and do things with/for local schools that would be great too!

Currently, I am a SKYWARN spotter, licensed ham radio operator and will hopefully be a member of the Tarrant County RACES after their next meeting/training date this month.

So ya... Hello everyone!!! :D

Totally off topic, more of a random question here. I've recently decided to actually throw a few reports out to the NWS in Ft Worth but none actually ever showed up. I was rather amused to why they wouldn't be in their log. What gives? Not like I'm some new random guy. Was a Meteorology major at A&M until the math got to me, one of the original Stormtrack members from the early 90's, been doing this all my life (just not submitting reports) Seems sort of pointless to report to them in the upcoming severe weather season.

I would suggest contacting a local area skywarn group. You don't have to be a ham radio op. to join but it sure helps. The code requirement has been dropped and the test is really easy.

Totally off topic, more of a random question here. I've recently decided to actually throw a few reports out to the NWS in Ft Worth but none actually ever showed up. I was rather amused to why they wouldn't be in their log. What gives? Not like I'm some new random guy. Was a Meteorology major at A&M until the math got to me, one of the original Stormtrack members from the early 90's, been doing this all my life (just not submitting reports) Seems sort of pointless to report to them in the upcoming severe weather season.

What method did you use to report? Some are more useful then others. Having worked with NWS Fort Worth now for a good five years I can say they do take all the reports they can get. As Ric said you can go through the local SkyWarn groups, use SpotterNetwork, give them a ring, file an online report, or even tweet them.

Hey David,
Actually been on Spotternetwork for a few years. Used this method and went straight thru their homepage when doing a report. Just didn't know if I had did something that wasn't correct on a report.

I'm one of the skywarn radio operators at the FW NWS. As David mentioned there are numerous ways to get your report in to us and we would love to have it! In regards to Spotter Network, that is one area that we don't always get reports through as they have their own vetting system that you may have run afoul of. Might want to double check through them.

Hey Greg,
If the season ever gets underway I'd love to help out instead of being a lurker! Obviously no ham radio but could do whatever you needed to contribute locally. Pretty familiar with Skywarn operations around here.

brentford.....yes by all means! You do not have to be a radio operator to be part of Skywarn. As stated, there are several avenues through which you can make reports. The FWD NWSO has a Facebook page, Twitter, phones, and then of course radios, SpotterNetwork, mPing and other social media. You can contact Mark Fox, the WCM through his email on the NWS webpage for more info too. Thanks and be safe!

Back