• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Spotternetwork clients not sending position reports?

Lou Ruh

EF3
I noticed today that my position was not being updated via PYKL3Radar (I know it is no longer a supported product, but, it was working before today). I then tried RadarScope (Android) and Radar Alive! Pro and neither one of those is working either. PYKL3 is throwing a "Json parsing error:No value for id" which appears at startup and if I ask it to validate the Spotternetwork login. The only way I have been able to update it is via the spotternetwork.org website (but, I have not tried other methods).

If you can login at the Spotter Network website then you know your credentials are fine and working. I just launched PYKL3 the other day and my location displayed fine, so I think it’s still okay. Let us know if you can login at the link above.

I can log in at the website (one of the first things I tried). I can push a position manually from there. None of my Android based clients are working (although PYKL3 is the only one generating the error).

Please don't think I'm asking questions that imply you're dumb or anything along those lines Lou. We just want to solve the issue. Do you have Location Services turned on in your phone/tablet settings?

If there's anything else you've tried please list them here so I or @John Wetter know what you've already done.

Please don't think I'm asking questions that imply you're dumb or anything along those lines Lou. We just want to solve the issue. Do you have Location Services turned on in your phone/tablet settings?

If there's anything else you've tried please list them here so I or @John Wetter know what you've already done.
Don't worry ... not a problem (before I retired, I worked in support at IBM ... I get it)

Yes, location support is enabled and the three radar apps I tried have the location permissions enabled.

Thanks. If I wasn't clear, this was working fine for years using PYKL3Radar. That has stopped working with the JSON error I mentioned. It is still not working. Since it is no longer a supported product, unless there is something that has changed on SpotterNetwork, I guess this will be an unexplained issue.

I was able to get RadarScope to send a position report last night ... thanks with the help with that (maybe less than intuitive, since you set up the account in one spot and enable position reporting in another area in the settings, with a headline of "Advanced").

I am still working to get Radar Alive! Pro to work. It is different because it still uses the Application ID instead of the User/Password combination to access SpotterNetwork. If I still have problems, I will contact the author for further assistance.

I do have another thing to report (admittedly a lot more minor) ... in a number of places, the Support link goes to stormhunter.org which is a "Free parked" site for GoDaddy . This is true on both Spotter Network (the link at the top of all pages) and also in RadarScope in the spot where the Spotter Network credentials are configured.

I see that now when I click on Support. It used to go to the Stormtrack SN forum via a redirect, but that seems to have gone haywire now. There are scattered references to Storm Hunter just as you mentioned but it’s up to John or whomever updates the SN forum to find and update them. I’m betting it’s going to Go Daddy because when Steve and I did the handoff we moved the hosting to Amazon from Go Daddy so now the redirect needs something to make it work again.

Any luck with PKYL3 Lou? It’s just like RS. Meaning there are a few settings that have to be enabled in the program to display SN on the map. Just wondering if you made any headway?

No. Still gives the Json parsing error (both on startup and if I tap in Spotter Network Credentials in the setup. Since this was working before, and stopped working with no known change on my side, it still seems to me that something changed (at least for my account, but, that would be odd) on the SpotterNetwork side, but, not a major issue since I can get RadarScope to work. Unless you can find anything on the SN side that changed, or come with some other diagnostic steps, I may just need to live with it. FYI, I could not get Radar Alive! Pro to work either, but, I have not contacted John yet.

My version is 2.9.1.5.0 for PYKL3. Upon closer inspection, I see SN Auth fail on the radar screen and when I press authenticate SN credentials I get the same JSON parsing error. I wish someone could pickup this program and continue updating it. I don’t think it’s open source though I could be wrong.

Hi Lou, I can't test PYKL3 unfortunately but my guess would be that it might have broke when we required all input to the system to be via HTTPS. It should work and is working for people though on RS and Radar Alive. Make sure you are successfully logging in, try your credentials on our web site as well as on RS. For example, your account could have been disabled from reporting because your email address bounced when we sent the newsletter last. It also could be disabled for not having an NWS phone number.

We're getting the support link over to here fixed. We missed the expiration of the site we use as an intermediate forwarder.

Thanks John. I suspected something had changed. Since PYKL3Radar is an unsupported legacy product and now not working with SpotterNetwork, I have moved on the RadarScope. FYI, Radar Alive! Pro is not working for me either. Since I was able to get RadarScope to work, I have not contacted the author, John, for any help. I may do that at some point, but, not high on my priority list.

Im late to this thread but I also started having the same problem using the Chaser Location app on Android. About the same time Lou experienced issues. Has been no fix for it :-(

I am seeing some reports about issues with the Windows client. One of them (the one from haywardarthur from April 5) looks like the same thing I saw the last time I installed the client (almost a year ago, and, I can't remember how I fixed it ... I think I had to make sure everything from a previous install was erased, but, not sure). The most recent issue (the "...Automation error" from D Zimmerman) may be due to the https change John mentioned? If so, the Windows client will need to be fixed (it is still supported, right?).

Hi All,
We have allowed non-https for report submission but have deprecated it. You must be using the current Windows client to submit reports. PYKL3, Chaser Location, and Radar Alive! will all need to update their apps by November 30th for them to continue to work. Obviously with PYKL3 being discontinued, that means this is the last summer for that application to support SN incoming or outgoing.

Hi I am having problems with noone seeing my beacon, I've used chaser locator, I've used radarscope and each shows it has updated my info but noone can see my beacon. It was working just fine about a month or two ago. I can log in just fine off the SN website. Using Android phone. Any help is appreciated.

Hi I am having problems with noone seeing my beacon, I've used chaser locator, I've used radarscope and each shows it has updated my info but noone can see my beacon. It was working just fine about a month or two ago. I can log in just fine off the SN website. Using Android phone. Any help is appreciated.
Hello Joseph,
It appears your name is set to first and last now so your account was re-enabled. At some point it must have been a disallowed name type and the system flagged your account. It will now display again.

Back