• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Spotter network placefiles

I noticed the spotter network placefile for spotters still uses the old format, where the dots and names are too small. I believe GR did an update about 1-2 years ago which impacted all placefiles with this issue, unless the placefile owner made a correction in their code.

Any word on when spotter network might make that fix?

The SpotterNetwork placefiles look like they are in the new format to me. I looked at one of the Spotter Network placefiles (https://www.spotternetwork.org/feeds/gr.txt) and it sets the font as follows:
Font: 1, 11, 0, "Courier New"

Font didn't exist in the old format. So per the Placefile spec ( Place File Specification (grlevelx.com) ) the font is 11 pixels high. The problem here is you could probably never get two folks to agree on what the size should be. Given the density of spotters these days, I kind of like the smaller text, even if it means I have to zoom in to read it. Sure it would be great if SpotterNetwork would let you pass in a font size (say https://www.spotternetwork.org/feeds/gr.php?fontSize=12) or if GR would let you override it, but I also wouldn't blame them if this wasn't too high on their priority list either.

The SpotterNetwork placefiles look like they are in the new format to me. I looked at one of the Spotter Network placefiles (https://www.spotternetwork.org/feeds/gr.txt) and it sets the font as follows:
Font: 1, 11, 0, "Courier New"

Font didn't exist in the old format. So per the Placefile spec ( Place File Specification (grlevelx.com) ) the font is 11 pixels high. The problem here is you could probably never get two folks to agree on what the size should be. Given the density of spotters these days, I kind of like the smaller text, even if it means I have to zoom in to read it. Sure it would be great if SpotterNetwork would let you pass in a font size (say https://www.spotternetwork.org/feeds/gr.php?fontSize=12) or if GR would let you override it, but I also wouldn't blame them if this wasn't too high on their priority list either.

I think the issue might be related to the fact that they've hardcoded the DPI at 96. If they do what Mike mentioned, it probably solves my issue

NN = ( hardcoded_NN * dpi ) / 96;

But agree, it's not high on the list, so I understand if it doesn't happen.

To follow up, this is the error I get when using the reports placefile and really any of their placefiles that use txt

spotternetworks.JPG

The other thing I mentioned, has to do with the DPI of the images (default ones are set to 96) but to me, I don't mind that as much as not getting the url to work. The smaller icons at least show up, even if they are small.

SNSmall.JPG

Either way, understand if this is low on the priority list. Not sure why the URL won't work for me, since I can get the RSS to work. (http://www.spotternetwork.org/feeds/rss-reports.xml)

I use GR2Analyst 2.92 and GRLevel3 2.80

Try pasting that URL into a web browser and see if you get the text file. If you don't the problem isn't GR. If you get the text file, you might try updating GR3, as both GR2 and GR3 are at 2.92 now.

Last edited:
Try pasting that URL into a web browser and see if you get the text file. If you don't the problem isn't GR. If you get the text file, you might updating GR3, ad both GR2 and GR3 at 2.92 now.

I get the URL to open and it shows the latest reports. Updated GR3 to 2.92 and still can't get the placefile to work.

Hi all, we have the high DPI version ready to go but likely not until late season so as not to break anything during peak. For private feeds for the NWS we have enabled this option.

Another thing you might try is opening the URL in a browser, saving it locally, then add the local file to the placefile manger to see if it loads. You nay have a software firewall rule that is blocking GR from loading pacefiles. Are you able to load other placefiles?

Another thing you might try is opening the URL in a browser, saving it locally, then add the local file to the placefile manger to see if it loads. You nay have a software firewall rule that is blocking GR from loading pacefiles. Are you able to load other placefiles?

Yep, so I've done that (saving locally), and it works. All my other placefiles work, Allisonhouse, a few other sites, etc.

Like I said, I can get the spotternetwork RES one to work, just not any of the text file placefiles to work. It's really weird, because the website obviously works, so not sure why GR can't load the page when I can on all my browsers.

Also happy to hear about the higher DPI, and definitely understand not wanting to break anything right now.

I don't follow what you mean by "RES one to work". Even if you meant RSS, I am still confused as GR doesn't support RSS as far as I know.

At any rate, all placefiles are really text files, regardless of what it looks like (i.e. when you make a request for a .php file the webserver really generates and returns a text file).

Try this one: https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/request/grx/iadot_trucks.txt

You might also delete that entry entirely from the placefile manager and readd it using a copy and paste (just in cause you have some wired typo/character in it).

At any rate, you probably need to bring up your issue in the GRLevelX Owners SUpport Forum: GRLevelX.com Owner Forum • Index page , as this isn't a common issue.

I don't follow what you mean by "RES one to work". Even if you meant RSS, I am still confused as GR doesn't support RSS as far as I know.

At any rate, all placefiles are really text files, regardless of what it looks like (i.e. when you make a request for a .php file the webserver really generates and returns a text file).

Try this one: https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/request/grx/iadot_trucks.txt

You might also delete that entry entirely from the placefile manager and readd it using a copy and paste (just in cause you have some wired typo/character in it).

At any rate, you probably need to bring up your issue in the GRLevelX Owners SUpport Forum: GRLevelX.com Owner Forum • Index page , as this isn't a common issue.

Yes, meant RSS, and agree, I though GR didn't support RSS, but somehow the Analyst version works with it as a placefile.

Agreed, this doesn't appear to be a Spotter Network issue, especially if others can get the placefile to load. Went ahead and started a thread over there, so we'll see if anyone over there has had this issue, or if there's a potential solution. I did uninstall and reinstall GR3.2, still doesn't work. Either way we shall see.

To help close the loop on this, I see this issue was reported back in March on that forum, and it appears to be an issue that they are aware of and looking at fixing, with the DPI fix.

Back