Some people's definition of a heat wave is different

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailcity.a...1109.G04&irec=3

Scorching heat to continue until December, BMG says

"Temperatures in Jakarta have been hovering around 34 degrees Celsius degree over the past few weeks, compared to an average temperature of 32 degrees Celsius. Officials said earlier temperatures could rise as high as 35 degrees Celsius."

" He said this was similar to the heat wave that occurred last November, when temperatures in the city reached more than 35 degrees Celsius."

So the average daily high is 90 F, but when it goes up to 94-95 F it's a heat wave and has a huge effect. If it's true, it goes to show that weather changes are all relative, and in an equable climate like Indonesia's, perhaps the small changes are felt more strongly.

Tim

I guess those locals in Jakarta don't see 35°C (95°F) very often. I hear Bangkok and Saigon are supposed to be even worse, especially when coupled with the typcally high humidity in SE Asia.

Where I live, anything above 29°C (85°F) is considered a heat wave! It only goes up to 30°C only twice a year or so on average, but I've seen as many as 15 days in one year with these kinds of temps, though. That was in 2002, and that was the hottest summer on record in Edmonton.

Highest it's gone up there in my life was up to 35°C (95°F), but I've noticed that temps in the low to mid 30s (high 80s-mid-90s F) are already becoming more frequent, especially compared to 20-30 years ago.

Back