Software wishlist! If you could help design a weather application (mobile or desktop), what would you want to see in it?

A few scattershot thoughts/ideas, in no particular order. Wondering if some of these exist already and I just don’t know about them, if so please let me know. Agree with @rdale that trying to do everything means doing nothing well and that we naturally gravitate toward best-of-breed in specific areas no matter how excited we might initially be about the “new app that does it all.”

1. Definitely agree on logging historical radar AND GPS position together

2. Radar that has the resolution of RadarScope but with Google Maps road detail that allows you to control the transparency of either so that you can emphasize one or the other as needed

3. A model display that allows you to overlay two or more models on top of each other; for example, comparing GFS and NAM 500mb on the same map instead of side by side (with ability to control transparency)

4. Regional model output that shows towns or cities for geographical reference

5. Something like the SPC mesoscale page that allows the overlay of various parameters based on actual / most recent obs where applicable/available, instead of RUC derived.

6. Radar as good as RadarScope but with the ability to layer in surface obs

7. Satellite as good as SatSquatch but with GPS position

8. Model site with greater consistency of available output from model to model. For example, on Pivotal Weather, not all of the same parameters are made available from NAM, GFS, RAP, etc. I understand Euro data being limited, but why should anything else be limited?

I’m sure I’ll think of more as soon as I post this 😏

Something that would allow you to track your GPS movements for the day and create a history trail. Bonus if there was a way you could download radar archives and then create an animation of your GPS icon's movements on a chase along with the radar loop. I know this can be done now but its a huge pain in the arse especially for the non tech savvy. I'd be the first customer in line if there was a simple application for this

Depending on the gps your using, that's already available.
Garmin download your tracks to local an upload to your web site or where ever.
Spot keeps a record of your tracks that you can download also.
Spot also has a live map if you want to share your current location and tracks.
Updating tracks varies from a couple of minutes to xxxx. I used 10 mins as seemed more suited for me.

Both of those i used to update my web site when exploring on motorcycle.
Using google maps, you can embed images and videos from along the way.

it'd be cool to have a real-time (and I mean every second) extrapolation of the radar data to fill in the gap between scan updates.

That could be so extremely misleading in a severe weather event that I'd shudder to see anyone using that on-air. But to the original point - that's not a role of a phone app :)

The met can tell a viewer that the supercell is moving NE at 45mph, but all the viewer sees is a still image that could be 1-5 minutes old.

Then that met needs to stay off the air :) You would show a loop of where it has been going, and then use the storm pathcase to show where it is going. A 1-minute old radar image is MORE than adequate (heck - I'm from the era where radar 15-30 minutes old was considered "new" :) )

2. Radar that has the resolution of RadarScope but with Google Maps road detail that allows you to control the transparency of either so that you can emphasize one or the other as needed

Seconded (or thirded, or whatever). Basically RadarScope needs improvements to include features that PYKL3 had (better zoom control and deeper zoom level as well as more detailed streets). Also agree with adding additional layers showing surface obs (all sources, including OKM and WTM).

I'd like to see a phone app with models that is viewer friendly for use on a phone. I find the existing sites too cumbersome, but maybe that's because they're not good for projection onto smaller screens.

Radarscope needs to allow GPS icon tracking on the tablet and laptop versions.

I'd like to see a phone app with models that is viewer friendly for use on a phone. I find the existing sites too cumbersome, but maybe that's because they're not good for projection onto smaller screens.

Radarscope needs to allow GPS icon tracking on the tablet and laptop versions.

What about that “Windy” app I see posted to Resources (April 2019), has anyone tried that, is it any good? I haven’t tried it, but its description seems like it would be what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Can’t believe I didn’t include this in my earlier list, but none of the most popular model sites like PivotalWeather or COD allow for overlays of different parameters. Would be great to be able to visualize where the best CAPE/shear overlap, for example. Also I wish Pivotal would show a thumbnail map of where your selected sounding plot is, without having to click to see the map and then click again to hide the map and see the sounding (that’s the way it displays on my iPad anyway...)

Can’t believe I didn’t include this in my earlier list, but none of the most popular model sites like PivotalWeather or COD allow for overlays of different parameters. Would be great to be able to visualize where the best CAPE/shear overlap, for example. Also I wish Pivotal would show a thumbnail map of where your selected sounding plot is, without having to click to see the map and then click again to hide the map and see the sounding (that’s the way it displays on my iPad anyway...)

That's what composite indices like SCP are meant for.

That's what composite indices like SCP are meant for.

True but it would still be nice to have a visualization of where one or more particular parameters overlap to assist with building a 3D picture in one’s mind; just looking (for example) at the SCP parameter is no different than looking at an SPC outlook without also looking at the underlying data.

SPC’s site has some overlay capability but my idea would take that to all models for any forecast hour.

Back