Software for transforming a sequence of stills to a movie.

After seeing Mike's awesome time lapse movies, I'm wanting to do something similar with my digicam. After I finish building a mechanical intervalometer to bash the shutter release every 10 seconds or so, I'll need a free/share/cheap-ware program than can string all the still jpegs together into an avi, wmv, or whatever.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Greg

p.s. On a related note, does anyone know of a digicam/DSLR that comes with a programmable interval timer?

Studio Version 9

I have a Pinnacle Studio ™ Version 9 loaded on my laptop that does that. I was able to string together a story board of photo stills about my trip to Colorado over the Labor Day weekend.

You can put the still photos together in any order you want, put in the fades or merges you want. You can put a title at the beginning and put a trailer at the end. You can even put a soundtrack on the movie.

It would be great if I can put together a storm chase sequence and put that on a DVD. I really haven't tried it yet with my video camera. Will have to do a trial field run just shooting the clouds for practice.

The software is not a freebie though, it's a little pricey. But with the storm pictures and videos I'm hoping to get this year, it will be worth it.

Thanks for asking. LJK.,

Re: Software for transforming a sequence of stills to a movi

After seeing Mike's awesome time lapse movies, I'm wanting to do something similar with my digicam. After I finish building a mechanical intervalometer to bash the shutter release every 10 seconds or so, I'll need a free/share/cheap-ware program than can string all the still jpegs together into an avi, wmv, or whatever.

Any suggestions?
To play with, you can use Windows Movie Maker that comes free with XP (and ME too I believe). I've made .wmv animations of captured radar images using it. Unfortunately the lowest dwell rate on an image might be one second. Probably not very useful for what you want to use it for. Maybe there's a way around the 1 second thing but I haven't figured it out. Even if that worked for you, it takes quite a bit of work to make a decent animation.

With Windows Movie maker you can add effects and double the speed. you can do this multiple times to get the speed you want. On the export option, you can also dub it directly to a DV cam through firewire.

Back