SNOWSTORM IN MN

Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States of Americ
Just looking at the latest NAM, and it paints quite a healthy snowstorm (blizzard?) across northwestern MN. NAM shows AOB sub-freezing temps from 36HRS on, with nearly 2 inches of QPF along the theta-e ridge/TROWAL and maximum vertical velocities... This area is just to the northwest of the SFC low, with northwesterly winds screaming in at nearly 35KNTS. With temps being quite warm and it being so early in the season, I couldn't imagine very significant snowfall totals, but with the way this season has been going weather-wise, it wouldn't surprise me.

Whether or not it happens remains to be seen, but it certainly is interesting for us weather geeks...

Yeah, the NWS seems to agree. A Winter Storm Watch has been posted for a good chunk of ND and a few counties in NW MN. It will be neat to watch how much snow actually builds up.

I'd wish "winter temperatures" around here would last a few weeks, perhaps a month - then I wouldn't mind it at all. I've lived in MI my entire life so far, and it's never gone down like that :lol:

I love 'true blizzards' but we haven't seen one for many years here. It just gets really cold and not much happens. I personally favor severe weather but also like any impressive events like blizzards. As much as I love blizzards I dis-like winter empathically.

On topic, it looks like ND is in for a decent snowfall accumulations somewhere around 8 inches. In fact they already have Winter Storm warnings up for that area. Might be a nice early season snowstorm for ND.

The system is a bit further northwest than I had expected, and snowfall totals are greater. It makes sense that the area of concern recieved 12-18 inches of snow given the 2 inch QPF's forecast, but given the recent warm temperatures and warm ground, I suspected that number would have been significantly less - on the order of 8 inches or so.

Oh well, just warming my skills up for later in the season I suppose.

I love 'true blizzards' but we haven't seen one for many years here. It just gets really cold and not much happens. I personally favor severe weather but also like any impressive events like blizzards. As much as I love blizzards I dis-like winter empathically.

There is absolutely nothing like a true blizzard. Hunkering down inside, piling on a few extra blankets and watching tv all day. I wish work had snow days. I'd feel like a little schoolgirl-I mean boy again. :lol:

Every year I have my "feelings" about a winter. I think it will be a moderate winter with one or two major snowstorms. Substantial amount of snow cover through the season. Temps low, but only a small period of time where it's unbearable.

I loathe winter. But I hope Michigan gets socked with some major snowfall this year. The Great Lakes water levels really need replenishing, and I'm rooting for some major-league, non-lake-effect storms to help make it happen.

I love the winter.... and especially snow and snowstorms. But when mother nature doesn't cooperate and just dumps arctic air over the region, I make my own snow! I've developed a 'snowgun' that uses compressed air (from a home air compressor), and uses high pressure water (500 PSI or greater -- I use a Karcher pressure washer). I use 40 degree spray teejet nozzles with it... and boom snow! I can make from 30 to 60 cubic feet of snow per hour, depending on if I use one pressure washer (in warmer temperatures), or if I parallel two together (which varies my gallons per minute from 1.5 to 2.8.) Here are a couple of pictures doing warm weather testing (this summer). I can't wait for the first night of subfreezing temperatures to fire it up!!

newdesign6.jpg

newdesign4.jpg

newdesign1.jpg

Tim, I notice that you live in my mother's girlhood hometown of Saukville. Small world! I have fond memories of visiting my grandparents' farm on the Milwaukee river as a boy. My aunt and uncle, now in their eighties, still live there.

That's a pretty cool contraption you've built there! I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of opportunity to fire it up in just a few weeks. Got any photos of the actual results you can share?

Back