Small-scale features on tower lightning video

Dan Robinson

I did some analyzing of the tower lightning video tonight and found a few of interesting features.

Here is a slow-motion, full-screen WMV video clip (1.8MB):
http://wvlightning.com/chase2005/video/leaders.wmv

Upward-propagating leaders are visible prior to all of the strikes on the wide-angle versions of the video.

leader.jpg

leader1.jpg

leader2.jpg

These features can be differentiated from false 'ghost channel' artifacts common on lightning video. Video is prone to 'ghosting' of the lightning channel on the frame preceding the stroke, but the 'ghost channel' is always shifted downward on the video frame, making the channel appear to be a 'leader' propagating upward very close to the observer, such as in this example from another video:

ghost1a.jpg
ghost1b.jpg

The 'ghost artifact' is very apparent in this next example frame from another video, where a false 'ghost leader' appears to be striking me in the back!

headstrike2.jpg

In the above tower lightning clips, the leaders are in the exact same position and shape as the full stroke on the next video frame, eliminating the possibility of these features being video ghosting artifacts.

Another item of note is two small-scale features on the last return stroke of the second flash. One is a small horizontal leader jutting out from the antenna tip, the second is a downward-reaching branch connected to the main channel.

leader3.jpg

Contrast-enhancing allows these features to be seen more clearly:

leader3a.jpg

Again, it is not apparent that this is a video ghosting artifact.

It would be interesting to shoot this type of event with a high-speed camera to examine more of these small-scale features that we normally don't get to see.

Facinating! I agree, with the high speed video idea too. Would be neat to see more on this.

Wow, that's some video. I think it's interesting the way the tip of the tower flashes in the absence of a lightning bolt, at about 4.5 seconds — residual charge in the air, perhaps? A kind of St. Elmo's Fire?

Originally posted by Thomas Loades
Wow, that's some video. I think it's interesting the way the tip of the tower flashes in the absence of a lightning bolt, at about 4.5 seconds — residual charge in the air, perhaps? A kind of St. Elmo's Fire?

Or a flashing light on top of the tower? :)

Thanks for the comments!

The flashing near the top is one of the white strobe lights on the tower.

Back