shooting in the rain...

We as a group are eventually bound to take a photos or videos in the rain. What sort of protection, if any, do you take to shelter you equipment from the rain while shooting? Do you use some sort of cover or just take pics/video from inside the vehicle? How much protection do you feel is necessary? Finally are there any products that you would recommend?

I've had a waterproof pelican case that I use to protect some of my equipment. However, it's good for traveling through watery situations but not taking pictures during those watery situations. I've been considering buying/making some sort of cover for those times I want to take a picture in the rain.

There are several companies that make rain gear for camera. Pelican is one of them. Portabrace is another. I use a Portabrace cover for the DSR200 and it works like a champ. The smaller cameras, you can simply make one from a claer plastic bag. Get a filter to cover the lens and Viola! You're in business.

A small amount of moisture that doesn't get inside the camera is OK, though I wouldn't do it on a regular basis.

Portabraces rock. They run almost $200 but are the best thing you can get to protect a camera. I keep them on the cameras nearly full-time. Not only do they provide rain protection, they provide a padding effect that keeps the camera safe from scratches, dust and even minor drops and falls. I have had cameras in downpours, freezing rain (covered in glaze ice), hail and heavy snow. The dew sensors have never gone off with the Portabrace on despite it being soaked to the core, though if it does get soaked I always take it off after the storm to dry off.

Two of my Portabraced cameras even survived a direct hit from a full glass of spilled iced tea at a restaurant. They were sitting on a chair next to me and got drenched from the tea cascading over the edge of the table. Thanks to the covers, the cameras didn't get a drop of tea on them! Without the Portabraces both cameras would have been a total loss (~$5k).

I have a Portabrace cover. It works ok.. Not in an extreme downpour though.. The Kata model will work better for that IMO.

Originally posted by Robert Edmonds
We as a group are eventually bound to take a photos or videos in the rain. What sort of protection, if any, do you take to shelter you equipment from the rain while shooting? Do you use some sort of cover or just take pics/video from inside the vehicle? How much protection do you feel is necessary? Finally are there any products that you would recommend?

I've had a waterproof pelican case that I use to protect some of my equipment. However, it's good for traveling through watery situations but not taking pictures during those watery situations. I've been considering buying/making some sort of cover for those times I want to take a picture in the rain.

If you have really, really high end gear, your camera can take a little rain (something like 1/4th inch per hour). Otherwise, yeah, you need to use a raincover to slip over your camera and lense.

Here's what B&H offers:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...arch&Q=&ci=3313

I believe that the Nikon D200 is the lowest priced DSLR to feature full weatherproofing. I'm not sure how waterproof the various N lenses are - AFAIK, there are some pro models that are quite resistant. With the right combination, you'd be nearly invulnerable to rain and whatnot.

(When I eventually go over to the D side, It will be for something like the D200. It's the first DSLR that really hold my interest. Lots of neat features.)

-Greg

I just purchased this cover off eBay for $40, retails for $110. I haven't tried it yet in the field but it is roomy enough to get my hands around and it has alot of velcro adjustments to make it fit any larger size camcorder.

20060130_RainCover.JPG

Yes, it's a KATA rain cover.

Originally posted by Verne Carlson
I just purchased this cover off eBay for $40, retails for $110. I haven't tried it yet in the field but it is roomy enough to get my hands around and it has alot of velcro adjustments to make it fit any larger size camcorder.

20060130_RainCover.JPG

Is that a KAtA Model Verne?

Sorry a little of track. Verne you chipped part of your tripod, I have the same one too. How did you do that? It's pretty solid if I recall

Back