Seattle NWS issues first ever heat advisory

Thought this was interesting. I wonder what the SEA NWS criteria are for a heat advisory in this area. DPs still look comfortable.....just warm during the day. Believe me, anyone on the Gulf coast would kill for this type of "heat" this time of year.

"SEATTLE (AP) - Make that an iced coffee. While the Northeast was bidding farewell to unseasonably chilly temperatures, Seattle residents dusted off the sunscreen and shorts Friday as the National Weather Service issued its first-ever heat advisory for the city.

The advisory covering the urban corridor from Tacoma north to Everett was prompted by a second day of record temperatures. Thursday's high temperature of 89 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport broke a 58-year-old record. A high of 87 was forecast for Friday."

Thursday's high temperature of 89 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport broke a 58-year-old record. A high of 87 was forecast for Friday."

They put out a heat advisory for upper-80 temperatures?! I know many of the non-convective warnings and advisories are regionalized, that seems a bit much IMO.

You have to take into consideration that folks up there are not used to the heat. They have a very mild climate normally...and few have a/c. I can understand why. :)

Seattle has really pleasant weather ... not nearly the mess that most people think. Love that place. (But 89 degrees and a heat advisory? ... c'mon ... some summer nights don't even cool off to 89 here.)

Also something that a person does not see a lot of ... tornadoes are actually referenced in the outlook language for the Pacific Northwest this afternoon (Sat) ... for outlined risk area primarily in Oregon:

...PACIFIC NORTHWEST...
UNIDIRECTIONAL DEEP LAYER SHEAR OF 30-40KT WILL ENHANCE STORM UPDRAFTS WITH A FEW OF THE STRONGER CELLS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HAIL AND PERHAPS AN ISOLATED TORNADO OR DAMAGING DOWNBURST.

Back