SE Michigan - February 2015 is One of the Coldest on Record

Our average high temps usually hover in the low to mid 30s during February, but like many locations in the Midwest and Great Lakes region, 2015 has been a pretty significant departure from normal.
Of note: Flint tied a 36 year old record for number of days below zero with 11. Detroit had 10, as did Saginaw with ranked 2nd and 3rd all time for those two communities. The average high temps for all three cities also only averaged in the mid to low teens.
The culprit is the persistent ridge/trough pattern and with the dawn of metrological spring upon us, early March looks to deliver much more of the same.

Source: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/dtx/web/Feb15Cold.pdf

I've had at least 5 mornings up here (Elk Rapids, MI.) with at least -20f and one morning at -28f .... on a good note it's only 100 degrees away from beach weather :)

You know it .... in 22 days my ass will be in the sand with a drink (or two) in hand! We need it!

We could use it ourselves. Aside from some family gatherings over the holidays the last few years, we haven't had a real vacation away from things, with no agenda, except to just chill... we're chasing the Plains in late May/early June, then re-newing our vows in Vegas in July :). Next year is the big 50 and we're going back to Vegas for Viva-Pyromania in Feb/March, and then probably to Hawaii in the Fall. Enjoy brutha!!!

I checked and Lansing was nowhere near its coldest February - an average of 4F set back in 1875. Several days had lows < -30F! I did a cursory search and didn't see much happening in the weatherworld that explained such cold.

I checked and Lansing was nowhere near its coldest February - an average of 4F set back in 1875. Several days had lows < -30F! I did a cursory search and didn't see much happening in the weatherworld that explained such cold.
Yeah, Rob.. still one of the coldest for you guys though (4th all time - average of 11.4 degrees... BURRRR).

Back