School Officials Sheltering Children in the Gymnasium

The more news I can gather from this, the more I can believe that indeed, the school did put forth an effort. Yes, there were kids in hallways, and closets. And yes, there were also kids in the auditorium, and I understand some were outside, as the school was apparantly in a time of transition with early dismissal, sadly, near the same time as the tornado hit.

The problem then lies not with the PLAN that was in place, but in the ACTIONS of the officials with regards to the impending situation.

Television stations were constantly on air alerting of the danger. There was a huge lead time for warning, I understand, of at or near 20 minutes on this particular tornado. And, of course, anyone with two eyes could see the impending, ominous conditions approaching.

Here then is my thoughts.

Regardless of the plan of action that was in place, it was painfully obvious that a massive storm was bearing down on the school. Video shows the meso directly overhead - and school officials would recognize this as a great, dark cloud - with the looks of it, dark enough to possibly turn the outdoor lighting on. With a tornado warning in progress, and the ominous appearance of the sky (you don't need a meteorology degree to recognize something bad is about to go down), it would have been more prudent to NOT dismiss early (putting kids, parents and staff in more danger). They should have been placed in hallways, crouched low with their heads in their hands.

You may say "But thats where some kids were, and some probably died that way as well!" There is no denying that. The problem here is, when a large tornado strikes a major school, while kids are in the building, no matter where you shelter them, the odds are, unfortunately, that some people are going to be very negatively impacted. What I am saying is the impact may well have been reduced if EVERYONE was in hallways, not scattered about in various areas.

With that said then, what could have been done differently? Honestly, I wasn't there, and I cannot cast judgement. Honestly, I was not in their shoes, and honestly, I do not know all the facts. But what I can say is this:

1. An observer should have been watching in the direction of the impending storm to bring constant updates to the Principal.

2. At the sight of the impending storm coming in with a tornado warning (tornado sighted or not), the kids should have already been in shelter. With such dark clouds, warnings, etc, there is no excuse for them to be in transition with the storm already upon them.

3. The transition should have been delayed as soon as it was realized the storm was already on them. Again, it doesn't take a met degree to see something bad was about to go down.

Yes, the school may have had the best intentions, a good plan, and done everything they could. I will back down on the previous "negligent homicide" though on this. However, I think that some deaths were likely preventable, and I think their plan ultimately failed. In short, NO ONE should have been up, running around, and in transition with an impending storm and a tornado warning, tornado sighted or not. Stricter enforcement and earlier shelter would have helped.

We at least can be thankful the local hopsital and the military were very prepared for something like this and were able to respond so quickly. In the videos you can see military evac heuys sitting by tghe school with their rotors turning waiting to evac the injured. And that is about 30 minutes after it hit according to the video.

"The storm was moving at 50 mph so there wasn't much time to react."

There was plenty of time to react - they had 20 minutes of warning...

Ask yourself how much time 20 minutes really is. I deliver pizza and 30 minutes is the quickest you are gonna receive the pie. Lets say that the principal had a weather radio in his hand and heard the warning 20 minutes prior to it hitting the school. It's 12:40 pm. You are letting school out at 1pm. The principal relays the message to the faculty assuming that they have walky-talkies this should take a full 5 minutes for compliance. Another 10 minutes to relay that message to a bunch of anxious teeenagers who most likely are just excited to leave school early. This leaves 5 minutes to really react to an F4 tornado heading straight for that location. 5 minutes is 300 seconds. Thats how long a bag of popcorn takes to cook and be in your bowl. Have you ever witnessed an F4 or greater tornado coming right at you? If so did you ever see it 20 minutes out? The power of this thing is unimaginable next to the tragedy that unfolded. If you were in that school and the clock was ticking from 20 minutes what would you do? I would do whatever it took to survive, but in the end that's not up to you. You can't plan for a perfect run of this. How many schools in the history of tornadoes have been hit with children in them? Not many. This was history; the fear that Plainfield, IL had conjured. It happened and all we can do is learn and move on. Those people don't need to be blamed. They are all heroes for what they did to get each other through it. The NWS did and does do a good job with warnings. The only thing I want to say is why is 20 minutes enough time when the people deserve more. The warning system needs to be improoved. It's early in 2007 and we have already had 2 big incidents(FL, AL). The large cities need to get ready, and the people need to get involved. Together we can improove this system to be better than it is.

Jason - we can't improve on 20 minutes. Your sample shows the problem with letting students out early, that was prime time for tornadoes in the area so WHY PUT THEM IN THE PLANNING STAGES TO BE ON THE STREETS IN THE HEART OF THE STORM?!?

And you go WAY too slow... Tell a group of people that a MAJOR tornado is on the way, and it WILL NOT take 20 minutes to get to shelter.

Ask yourself how much time 20 minutes really is. I deliver pizza and 30 minutes is the quickest you are gonna receive the pie. Lets say that the principal had a weather radio in his hand and heard the warning 20 minutes prior to it hitting the school. It's 12:40 pm. You are letting school out at 1pm. The principal relays the message to the faculty assuming that they have walky-talkies this should take a full 5 minutes for compliance. Another 10 minutes to relay that message to a bunch of anxious teeenagers who most likely are just excited to leave school early. This leaves 5 minutes to really react to an F4 tornado heading straight for that location.

It should take less than 1 minute to respond to the warning. The principal or admin hears the warning then gets on the schools PA to let everybody know to take shelter. THats what the PA is for. mass communication quickly. You can get from the classroom to the hallway in seconds. 20 minutes is more than most anybody can expect or needs. Fire drills take less than 3-4 minutes.. and that is to evacuate a building and get a headcount. I can promise taking shelter from a tornado should be much less than that. 10 minutes for a teacher to tell her their students to take shelter now??? If it takes that long then those teachers have no control oevr anything in their classroom. If 1 adult cant tell 30 kids to get in the hall then they have no business teaching.

As I said in a different thread, school officials should keep students in school for their protection, unless their parents pick them up. They should also be required to stop using gymnasiums and auditoriums with free span roofs as gathering areas during tornado emergencies, period. They should stop wasting time getting everyone together in one spot, and develop shelter in place plans to use interior hallways, closets, bathrooms, and other windowless areas. This would not only save valuable time, but it would put shelter closer to the students where it's needed. Maybe if school officials were held responsible and accountable for this, they would choose safer practices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a program that anyone knows of that teaches disaster preparation and reactions to schools or businesses? The sad thing is that the people who are sheltering these kids are an example and the kids are very likely to repeat the same kind of technique which could be disasterous for future instances

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17762982/

Todays article from Logan.

Check out the last couple of lines....

"Authorities were instructing people seeking shelter to head to a gymnasium at Logan High School, Tingwall said."

Now this could mean 2 things.

#1 - They were instructing survivors/homeless to the gymnasium, which is completely okay

#2 - They were telling them to TAKE shelter in the gymnasium....have we not learned anything? I hope #1 is right.

Just bringing up a dead issue here and still in shock that people still don't have common sense.

The people were sheltering in the gym after the tornado.

http://www.qcsunonline.com/engine.pl?station=quay&template=fnmStoryFull.html&id=12709

Tornado hits Logan
by Chelle Delaney: Quay County Sun
[email protected]
Created on: March 23, 2007 - 7:49PM - 12709

A tornado touched down in a 12-block area of the Village of Logan injuring one person, destroying about 30 mobile and motor homes and damaging others, Quay County emergency manager, Mike Cherry said.

“It was a 12-block area that received damage,†Cherry said. “One person was taken to Trigg Memorial Hospital by the Logan EMS and several people received minor injuries.â€

At 6:30 p.m., there were about 35 people who had taken refuge in Logan’s old high school gym, Cherry said.

The town is without electric service. “At this time we’re not sure when the power will be restored. They will have power at the high school. Tomorrow, in the daylight, we’ll be able to give a better assessment of the damage,†Cherry said.

The storm hit at about 3:15 p.m. on Friday, Cherry said.

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up. The previous article on MSNBC wasn't too clear on that issue. Thanks for the find.

Back