ScannerLive Open Beta

rdale

EF5
With a big storm making stream listening a fun weekend opportunity - I've allowed the nearly complete ScannerLive application to work through Feb 8th.

Take an early look at ScannerLive at http://skywatch.org/slbeta-32/publish.htmhttp://skywatch.org/slbeta-32/publish.htm (32bit Windows) and http://skywatch.org/slbeta-64/publish.htm (same but optimized for 64bit machines.) With IE you can launch directly, Firefox requires you to download the setup and run that instead.

Here's what ScannerLive will do...

1) Select multiple online feeds to monitor (up to 10 per bank)
2) Save your layout in up to 10 banks for quick changes on the fly
3) Monitor all feeds in a bank, and if audio is heard on one of the feeds it will mute the others
4) Selectable delay, so you can have it stay on that feed until xx seconds has passed with no audio before scanning again
5) Priority selection, so if audio pops up on your priority feed while listening to another - it will jump to the feed you've selected as prority
6) Ability to change the volume settings individually
7) Ability to have certain feeds come out of left or right speaker only if desired
8) Might be able to add the alphatags for feeds that send it
9) Might be able to add a record function to save incoming data in .wav format (My guess right now is that I'll save that for v2 as that looks like it will take a bit of programming)
10) Audio meter active on all feeds (even when they are muted so you can manually switch if desired)
11) Ability to temporarily lock out a feed
12) Ability to hold or manually select a feed to stay on until pressing scan again

It checks all your feeds 10 times per second, so it's not really "scanning" as it is always looking for active audio.

ScannerLive will allow up to 10 banks of up to 10 channels each. When it's not actively scanning, you can right-click over a feed in the list and delete. Add new feeds under the "bank setup" where you can access the RR database directly, or enter a URL from another site. Either use "bank setup" to save a particular bank config, or right-click over the bank name as a shortcut.

For machines with multiple sound cards, go to "sound card setup" and you can choose something other than the default. You can also turn on/off the tooltips on the main screen, the feedname popup at the bottom, or minimizing into the date/time tray.

Hit "start" and away you go!

Left-click over a feed (name or the audio bar) and it will hold on that feed. Right-click over the feed name allows you to set the priority channel. Priority checks the feed 10 times per second without interrupting your listening.

The volume slider works, and the checkbox allows you to temporarily lock out a channel. You can still see the audio meter move if you want to unlock. If a feed goes offline, it attempts to reconnect and if still unsuccessful will cross out the name so you know it's down.

Under "Scan Setup" you can mute all or clear priority (if set.)

You can manually hold on a channel by pressing the 'hold' button while listening to that channel, or just left-click on the audio bar for that channel. Priority will NOT interrupt you while holding, but again you can see the audio bar moving and change on your own if needed.

Anyways take a look, I expect full release in early February. More info on the final release features are down a few threads in this forum. There are still a few cosmetic changes coming (replacing the temp lockout checkbox with a "L/O" button, tweaking the colors, etc.) but overall this is about how the final app will work for v1.0 -- and I've got PLENTY of things to work on for v1.01 and so on.

Cost will be $19.99 with free upgrades, and $11.99 if you are a RR feed provider.

This weekend you'll get great use out of Brevard County FL (Kennedy Space Center behind the scenes comms with a launch on Sunday) and the new Washington DC Fire & Police streams.

- Rob

Thanks for sharing that. I've been checking out the feeds in Washington DC. It seems to work OK, but I'm curious how much bandwidth it uses since I'm on a Verizon Wireless connection. I'll have fun with this application, I can see already.

Most feeds are 16K, some are 32K, so basically average it out to 25K and multiply by how many you have open. It takes no more bandwidth than if you opened up multiple RealPlayer windows, it just takes the monitoring to the next level.

Back