Satellite Internet

Jason Hollen

Hey everyone,
I am a new member out of Houston and am just getting into alot of disaster recovery planning and storm work. I actaully own a satellite internet company and have been doing alot of work for emergency crews and county agencies who have had a problem with communication after storms. I was hoping someone can give me some insight on companies that mey be interested in getting set up with a mobile satellite dish. Anyone can visit my page at www.advancedec.com and feel free to email me with any comments. [email protected]

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
When is satellite internet while moving going to be available to the general public? And how much?

I know the "hardcore" chaser folks and the tour companies will be all over that...assuming the price isn't insane.

The Satellite Internet options that are available that are in motion start at about 30k. The options that I carry start at 4k but are not in motion. The good thing about them though is you dont have to manually adjust the dish to find your signal. With a push of a button you can have internet usually within 3-7 minutes without you doing anything.

30k!!! My jaw drops to the floor as I google a whole lot to look for more FREE WIFI hotspots.

30k!!! My jaw drops to the floor as I google a whole lot to look for more FREE WIFI hotspots.

Thing to remember this is relatively new consumer technology, and not necessarily in high demand. When the first auto point mobile units similar to what he's selling came out they were in the 5 figure range.

Anyone remember what DVD players cost the first couple years? I looked over the service prices through his provider and the low end package is the same as a full featured XM subscription. If you consider that both have high equipment costs, and the fact with this you have FULL internet and not just a few watered down radar products, one can see the added value in the equipment initial cost. It's not for everyone, but with what I do I could justify the equipment expense.

My biggest concern is how well it would tolerate baseball sized hail. :eek:

Baseball size hail is a good one. Like anything you would have on top of your vehicle I cant 100% gaurantee that you would not have any issues. But I would advise you not to have the dish deployed while you are experiencing this.

Baseball size hail is a good one. Like anything you would have on top of your vehicle I cant 100% gaurantee that you would not have any issues. But I would advise you not to have the dish deployed while you are experiencing this.

Are these dishes the composite plastic ones like the home stationary ones, or are they metal? Are individual replacement parts readily available?

The Satellite Internet options that are available that are in motion start at about 30k. The options that I carry start at 4k but are not in motion. The good thing about them though is you dont have to manually adjust the dish to find your signal. With a push of a button you can have internet usually within 3-7 minutes without you doing anything.

What type of speeds are we talking? I'm on unlimited Sprint and Verizon EVDO setups for less then what I was paying for WX Worx www.wxworx.com and I get in worst case a 56k while driving and in EVDO one meg or better on the go. I have yet to find too many places now where I was out of contact for weather data via the EVDO or 1x networks.

I'm not saying the satellite setup is a bad thing for chasing but just trying to see what kind of speeds your talking about for up and down since a lot of chasers now try to push video out from the field.

Back