Ruidoso, New Mexico wildfire (live camera)

This is a live camera feed of a wildfire moving into Ruidoso in southern New Mexico, west of Roswell (time sensitive at 7pm CDT).

If you listen to the Lincoln County sheriffs dept feed its really kind of chaotic in my opinion. They don't seem very ready for this.

Love Ruidoso and that area of NM. Wishing for the best but knowing that drought is really bad in NM and was very evident how dry it was earlier this spring out there.

That traffic jam in town is pretty nerve-wracking. Thankfully it doesn't seem like the fire is advancing east very fast, it doesn't look very different from where it was an hour ago.

ABQ media are reporting 1400 buildings destroyed, including homes and some well-known businesses. Very sad. Models are in good agreement on some big storms northeast of there around Clines Corners/Encino/Vaughan tomorrow, and if it still looks that way in the morning I will probably be chasing somewhere around those areas. There is some chance the storms might reach Ruidoso tomorrow - let's hope so - but probably not until tomorrow night or Thursday.

If you listen to the Lincoln County sheriffs dept feed its really kind of chaotic in my opinion. They don't seem very ready for this.

Love Ruidoso and that area of NM. Wishing for the best but knowing that drought is really bad in NM and was very evident how dry it was earlier this spring out there.
Nobody ever is, everyone has a plan till you get punched in the mouth. We had a series of grass fires start on I-35 under extreme conditions back in early April. Only a handfull of homes threatened. Our first truck pulled up as fire was in the backyard of one home. We knew it was a high hazard area, and I actually used the same scenario in an $475k grant application as we knew eventually it would happen. Anyway if you listen to our radio traffic on that series of grass fires I bet it sounded like a cluster. We had 4 fires in our district, every fire department in the county as well as a couple from surrounding counties responded. The big one was a 10 acre fire (which usually we would've suppressed without any additional help), but due to cedars, the amount of fires (there were actually fires along a 14 mile stretch so as we were asking for mutual aid, the department to the east was asking us for the same thing). Total cluster but one we had prepared for and game planned.

Wife's aunt has a cabin in the Alto area. It was still standing last night, but haven't heard from them today. They did evacuate safely, as did their neighbors.

I have houses and property near Ruidoso and the fire is currently about ten miles away. I go to Ruidoso every year at least once and love the area. It is crazy how much has happened in a couple days ... wildfires, severe storm, hail, lightning and flash flood. Here are a few photos I have gathered as the events unfolded. There are still people missing and two have been confirmed dead with 1500 structures burnt.

Attachments

• Fire1.jpg
    Fire1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Fire2.jpg
    Fire2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Fire3.jpg
    Fire3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Fire4.jpg
    Fire4.jpg