Ridiculous rains in Texas

So far at my house in south Austin we've had 9.40 inches for the week. As usual, it's dark outside and everything is totally soaked. And it's not over, either.

.TONIGHT...SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. SOME MAY BE SEVERE WITH HEAVY RAINFALL POSSIBLE.
LOWS IN THE LOWER 60S. NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH BECOMING SOUTH 5 TO 10 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.
CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.

Guess we'll break 10 inches, which is almost a third of our annual average rainfall.

The LCRA hydromet station near here got a 1-week total of 9.40 inches also.

Tim

The LCRA's website has been one of my favorites for a while as it gives plenty of stage and lake information for the Colorado River system (the one in Texas, that is).

Anyway... http://www.lcra.org/index.html

I miss Austin... and yes, I miss heading out to chase the floods in the hill country. There's nothing like seeing the Llano River, or a similar river in full flood.

mp

To expand on what Morgan said, they also have good maps that stretch all the way up to the San Angelo / Abilene area. I used this in 2004 to check out dryline positions in central Texas:

http://hydromet.lcra.org/

Tim

Unbelievably I woke up this morning to yet another thunderstorm and torrential downpour. By 8:30 am we had a pretty good core of hail coming down on us (marble-sized). It's still raining but I see at least two inches in the gage. This will bring us up to at least 11 inches of rain in eight days.

Just unbelievable!

Tim

Here's a photo from about 8:45 am this morning. We live on a slight slope, and there was a river going through everybody's back yards. That's hail on the ground among the leaves, which it tore down off our live oak trees. Our baby orange tree and avocado tree (foreground, in pots) seem to love it though. That river you see is about four inches deep.

4df7d9266cdc0cd37b1ffe438faf6043.jpg

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img81.exs.cx/img81/5142/packergame037.th.jpg[/url]

Taken in front of my house yesterday. Wish I would have caught the Expedition before it, her facial expression was priceless!

Water jumped the curb and went half way up the driveway. 9.55" in the last 2-3 days. This water rise happend 3 times yesterday. My son had to park in the yard (the car in the pic) due to high water. It was starting to come in the doors when he moved it.

I just checked the gage and our overnight rainfall was 2.98". This brings our 8-day total to 12.40"!

Let's see if we can shoot for 20!

Tim

I have an overwhelming feeling that I should be sending you guys a box of towels :shock: Is there localized flooding in your area, or is the system handling it all?

Tim

No serious problems here in Austin... the city is hilly and has a good drainage system. Not sure how the lakes and rivers are doing though.

Tim

Houston, we have a problem.

Flooding bayous north and around the heart of I-10 in the city. So far it isn't too bad but any more rain will make a large mess. I feel for Wharton county, what a grandioso mess they are dealing with....they are getting all of Tim's runoff.

Bear Creek is flooding. I am 5 miles W of it. The bayou at Fry Rd (1mi W) is up to the bridge but not over it.

Yeah, the floods down there are big news. It looks bad.

You guys take it easy.

Not nearly as wet here as it has been further south - but it's been a lot like the West Coast in winter here lately with almost nonstop low clouds/fog/drizzle the past two weeks with occasional periods of "real" rain. I've logged 4.01" of rain here since the 10th (including 1.02" on the 23rd). With drizzle continuing early this morning today (24th) is the 14th day out of the last 15 (and the 12th in a row) with a trace or more of precip.

Back