REPORTS: Total solar eclipse, August 21, 2017

My husband sussed out the hotel by searching the path and then went to find hotels in less populated areas. I'm glad it worked out for both of us. Not sure I'd say I "missed" getting rained on while floating away in a tent. ;)

My husband sussed out the hotel by searching the path and then went to find hotels in less populated areas. I'm glad it worked out for both of us. Not sure I'd say I "missed" getting rained on while floating away in a tent. ;)

I simply had waited too long to book any reservations. That isn't going to happen with the 2024 total eclipse in Indianapolis, IN. I am going to start looking in early 2023!

I simply had waited too long to book any reservations. That isn't going to happen with the 2024 total eclipse in Indianapolis, IN. I am going to start looking in early 2023!
No kidding! My husband and I were thinking of booking something maybe in Virginia or Tennessee. Unfortunately, we read that some people who were pro-active in getting reservations way in advance in some areas in 2017 had their rooms cancelled so they could re-open them at a higher cost. Sheesh. Hope that doesn't happen going ahead.

My roommates and I planned our trip months in advance. We chose Eastern Missouri/Western Illinois because it was supposedly the area of longest totality and I have a friend who lives around St. Louis who was willing to let us crash at her apartment.

We ended up viewing the eclipse from a Starbucks in Sullivan, MO. There were clouds in the sky but they weren't thick enough to prevent us from seeing the full event from start to finish. It was a fun experience, one I can't wait to to again in 2024.

I put a rather personal account in the Photography section back in 2017. Recency bias has faded. Now I can make an unbiased assessment. Yup, it was the best day of my life. What about my wedding? What about my daughter being born? Well, they were both with me!

She was 5 at the time. Barely understood some of the science, but enough to be exited. Kindergarten teacher is awesome, plus she fed on my anticipation. We were ready to roll! 30 minutes up the road, haha. As it got dark she said something about brushing her teeth. In all the excitement I forgot to ask if she's joking or playing along. At any rate it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Aurora is close though. Daughter still talks about the eclipse.

After days of being neurotic over the forecast, fair wx cu dissipated about 20 minutes before totality. April should be easier forecasting, synoptic vs mesoscale. I'll be there in 2024. And 2045 - six minutes in Dixie - I'll be there even if it's in a wheelchair.

Back