Regarding Storm Chasing With a Tablet PC

• Thread starter Timothy M Carroll
  • Start date

Timothy M Carroll

Who out there uses a Touchscreen Tablet PC While Chasing? Here are my main questions.

1) Does Gibson Ridge work well with the touch screen and stylus, does having a touch screen make it any more user friendly?
2) is it easier to plot maps and navigational aids with a touch screen using MS Streets, or Delorme, or comparable.
3) As a general rule, are Touchscreen / Tablet PC's sturdy enough to be mounted for use in a mobile vehicle ( Aside from the Toughbook series )
4) Anyone got one they want to trade for my Latitude D610 Chalk full of Really Good Software?? http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/sys/1110832025.html
haha . .

Anyhow, yeah, Definately would like to have those questions answered pretty quick.

Thanks to All !

Timothy M. Carroll, KE5PPL
www.ke5ppl.com
214-736-6242
Plano, TX

Who out there uses a Touchscreen Tablet PC While Chasing? Here are my main questions.

1) Does Gibson Ridge work well with the touch screen and stylus, does having a touch screen make it any more user friendly?
2) is it easier to plot maps and navigational aids with a touch screen using MS Streets, or Delorme, or comparable.
3) As a general rule, are Touchscreen / Tablet PC's sturdy enough to be mounted for use in a mobile vehicle ( Aside from the Toughbook series )
4) Anyone got one they want to trade for my Latitude D610 Chalk full of Really Good Software?? http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/sys/1110832025.html
haha . .

Anyhow, yeah, Definately would like to have those questions answered pretty quick.

Thanks to All !

Timothy M. Carroll, KE5PPL
www.ke5ppl.com
214-736-6242
Plano, TX

I have a touchscreen mounted on my dash and have had no issue with it. Just make sure that the mount is very sturdy and can tighten down. That constant vibration will loosen the cheaper ones.

The biggest issue I've had is the hard drive taking hits from the bouncing of the vehicle and then also, the cold and heat of the days and nights. I've had to move to a SSD and the speed difference is incredible plus I don't worry in the temperature extremes any longer.

Back