Recommendations for PocketPC Users. . .

Greetings all,
I'm going to duplicate this post as TWO threads. One for Mac/Powerbook discussion and the other for PocketPC. . .

I'd appreciate recommendations for someone who has a PocketPC instead of a PC laptop for chasing. In the office, I have PIII XP Professional machines and Macs including my main desktop machine (a dual processor G5). So I can use whatever software/machine I need for a specific job (advance forecasting/planning). But on the road my only options are my G4 Powerbook and a Dell Axim X3.

The X3 has only ONE slot, so I either have to choose a storage card OR a wireless card OR a GPS (which I don't have yet). If you have recommendations for using the Powerbook on the road, please see the other related topic thread.

I'm probably also in the minority here in that I don't have a cell phone. (I can certainly see their value in chasing - but for everyday life I really don't WANT to be contacted anytime/anywhere) :twisted:

Recommendations appreciated.

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

The real choice is sell the X3 and upgrade to the X3I... then you at least get built in wifi (like I have). I keep a large SD card in the top for memory, and supposedly you can get GPS to use the bottom connector where typically you dock it. (Haven't gone that route yet)

Aaron

Yes, the one slot in the X3 is a limitation, but it was a Dell giveaway ($1 with server purchase) so I didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. :shock: I have a Wi-Fi card with it, but frankly think I would use the Airport equipped Powerbook for any Wi-Fi surfing (there is a Mac version of NetStumbler).

Since everything except my home Macs are owned by the university, I don't really have a "sell and buy something else" option. :wink:

Thanks for the reply!

Darren Addy
Kearney, NE

Is the single expansion slot compact flash or SD(MMC compatible).

I have a Compaq 3950 which only has a MMC slot in the top. however I have acquired a blue tooth expansion jacket with a CF slot..
I use the bluetooth to link to my cell phone Sony Camera phone , use the MMC slot for a large data card which contains my maps for my mapping software and use the CF slot for a CF GPS unit. Bluetooth used for transfering the pictures.

Also own a Jornada 928 which has celphone built in. This has a CF slot
Have only just acquired this secondhand so am still learning the different functions - will probably use it for work using it for internet use and checking e-mail.
one works on win 2003 and the other win 2002.

Back