Rate the damage part ? 2

since the last "rate the damage" thread had a ? i will put ? 2 as my title.

Ok, rate the damage. This one maybe a little tricky for some. I will post the answer once one or two people have gotten it.

ffc084cf8e2a163468898f88ce3f0157.gif

F0. The truck in the barn isn't even damaged. Debris is not scattered, trees are barely damaged. I would almost venture to say that it was straight-line winds, but the damage appears to be to localized for that.

Seems a little localized for SLW to me, as the roof on the barn or house in the background isn't missing a single shingle (say that three times fast). My first instinct was F0, so I'll go with that. If this indeed ends up being SLW, then I call "mulligan" since the thread is obviously for rating tornado damage.

I am going to say damage from straight line winds.

Mike

Yes, its from the 5-31-98 derecho. winds 70-80mph taken from the dtx NWS site.

This was the same photo along with others that the met. teaching the skywarn class this spring showed to everyone and said what do you think this damage is? Most everyone said F1-F2 tornado, i said Either weak F-1 or SLWs but i thought it too was too localized to be SLWs but in the end thats what it turned out to be.

Thanks for replying everyone.

Seems a little localized for SLW to me, as the roof on the barn or house in the background isn't missing a single shingle (say that three times fast). My first instinct was F0, so I'll go with that. If this indeed ends up being SLW, then I call "mulligan" since the thread is obviously for rating tornado damage.

Hey, he never said "tornado" damage, :lol: Though, I also was also thinking a weak tornado, LOL

In this case I think it's very difficoult to say if damage is from derecho or tornado, if you are not on the path...From a photo perspective you can say both of them :)

The intact structures (silo and barn) appear to be very close and behind the damage path. The path appears to be narrow, like what you would expect with a tornado. I favor a tornado, F2 most likely.

I doubt that straight line winds did this, because of how narrow the damage path is. Inflow winds can be narrow enough, but usually not strong enough to do the damage wse see here. Outflow winds are usually that strong, but they tend to spread out when hitting the ground.

Back