Rant: My laptop curse

Dan Cook

EF5
I've had a laptop since 2004 and each time I've had one the DC jack burns out. I've had 2 Dells and now a Toshiba. The Toshiba one burned out last night.

I've finally decided that I'm going to buy a desktop. While I like the mobility of a laptop, if I want to do gaming again and do HD processing, I need a desktop.

This is what I'm gonna grab:

XPS 625 XPS 625 featuring AMD Black Edition processors D625H [224-4778]
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit VHP61E [420-5769][420-8873][420-8874][420-9132][421-0191]
Processors AMD Athlonâ„¢ X2 5600+ Black Edition (2.9GHz/65W) DX25600 [317-0140]
Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 DIMMs 4GB82 [317-0145]
Keyboard No Keyboard Requested N [330-3357]
Monitor No Monitor N [320-7840]
Video Card ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB AT4850 [320-7851]
Dell Printer Drivers No Dell Printer Driver Installed NODRV [461-9709]
Hard Drives 500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 2 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache 500S [341-8588]
System Color Black Bezel Chassis BBEZEL [313-6078]
Floppy Drive & Media Reader No Floppy Drive NFD [341-6296]
Mouse No Mouse NM [310-9325]
Network Card Integrated Gigabit NIC Only IN [430-3437]
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language AAREAD [410-1867]
CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc Burner (Writes to BD/DVD/CD) and 16x DVD+/-RW

He have a Dell and a Gateway laptop. They both have had problems with the DC jack. The problem is that they only solder a very small point on the jack. With the constant plugging in and unplugging and any movement of the cord, this solder joint breaks loose. I have re-soldered both laptop connections twice. the second time, I scraped a large area on the board to make a good connection. this has not failed yet.

I just got a new Asus laptop and hope it is made better.

How much is that going to set you back? Your best bet is wait untill dell has there end of quarter sales or a price mistake . Look to do your upgrades on your own like the ram etc

I have an HP with the same issue. Those things are expensive to replace too!

Have you thought about building your own?

That was going to be my question. It's incredibly easy to build a computer yourself nowadays. Building a computer is just about the only mechanical thing I can do. I'll admit it...I'm mechanically inept. Actually, "inept" isn't a sufficient enough word. I was not blessed with the mechanical skills or knowledge of my father, unfortunately. I'm one of those people that would probably struggle for hours trying to change a tire. That's why I've got AAA. But I digress...

The box I'm using right now, I built completely on my own back in January 2007. Everything is pretty much plug-and-play. The hardest part is probably installing the proper connections on the motherboard, but every manual I've ever seen is very good. Another benefit is that you can put what you want on it. You can get exactly what components you want. Your system won't be bogged down by the extra bloat software that most manufacturers install in the shop.

The key to custom building a computer is research. Decide what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. Next, research the components. Make sure they are compatible with each other. Certain combinations of RAM, CPU, and motherboards don't always work well together. Read the customer reviews from Newegg. They are a great source of information. Finally, research prices. Pricegrabber is a good source. I've bought parts from Newegg, ZipZoomFly, TigerDirect, Directron, MWave, FrozenCPU, and a few others.

If you really want the hard work to be taken care of for you, order a motherboard/CPU/RAM combo from Mwave. They will assemble and test it for you pretty much guaranteeing that it works when it's shipped. All you have to do then is screw it into your case, plug everything in, and away you go.

If anybody is looking to go this route and doesn't have much experience, I'll be more than happy to help you look up parts and prices.

I have a Asus A8N-SLI motherboard, 650w power supply(new), 1 Gb Corsair's fastest RAM for DDR(led's on the side of them that work like VU meters- trick!), 74Gb RAPTOR SATA hard drive(new) for the O/S to run at top speed (10k RPM!), a 200Gb SATA storage hard drive(new), A Sony R/W DVD player/recorder(new), a NVidia 7950 viddy card(sweet). a multi card reader(new), that I might part with for $400+shipping if you are interested. It doesn't have an operating system on it, but I could put on the trial version of Windows 7 on it for you if you want - along with either SUSE or Ubuntu. It is about two years old, but has hardly been used at all. Paid a lot more than that for all of the parts, and they are nearly all new - to boot. Couldn't have more that a hundred hours on it - or less. The case has been meticulously modified and manicured for a brilliant look and great function - and new. It's a real decent box with top-grade components. If you wanted to run two video cards in it for SLI and severe gaming, it is ready to go. A couple of Nvidia 8600's would be the only mod that you would need. Have the manuals for the M/B too. It's nice; but I already have too many computers around here, so I will sell a few of them off.
PM me if you are interested, and we can make arrangements.
Rob...

Desktop a good idea.

You got problems....Dude, you got a Dell.

Yeah. I'm done with Dell. I've had nothing but issues and problems, bad tech service, bad purchasing issues, etc. Nothing but problems. I do have had the DC jack issue, and you'd think that would have fixed the problem by now...nope. Still one of the biggest problems they face. I just wish the class-action suit went through...could have got some money back on my laptop.

Anyhow...with any PC you buy (hopefully not a Dell), be sure to ask around with people who use the computer the same way you do. Yeah...I've had lots of people talk about Dell laptops working fine....but as you can see with the responses here...it is common in the chaser world to have a Dell with problems.

Going the desktop route is the best idea. Laptops really should be reserved for mobile use. Desktop run smoother, don't have overheating issues (they tend to be in air conditioned houses or businesses), and they are easy to work on, upgrade, or replace components if necessary. The also tend to be cheaper for a similarly spec'd laptop machine.

Absolutely.
Desktops will run large circles around any laptop, simply because they can have better viddy cards and faster RAM available - as well as faster hard drives too!. No 'bottlenecking' in a desktop - compared to a laptop.
For sure!

I accept the limitations of my laptop for chasing or being on the road.
Desktops are just more fun, and do it all better at home - no contest...

That was going to be my question. It's incredibly easy to build a computer yourself nowadays. Building a computer is just about the only mechanical thing I can do. I'll admit it...I'm mechanically inept. Actually, "inept" isn't a sufficient enough word. I was not blessed with the mechanical skills or knowledge of my father, unfortunately. I'm one of those people that would probably struggle for hours trying to change a tire. That's why I've got AAA. But I digress...

That's funny, because building computers is the only thing mechanical I can do too! If I try to fix something on my car I end up having to pay someone to fix the actual problem, plus my goof ups, so that's why I have Amoco Motor Club, pretty much like you have AAA.

I cannot stress enough how much of a feeling of confidence it would give you to build your own rig. You get to choose all of the parts and your upgrade path in the future is wide open. With the new Intel Core i7 processors and triple channel memory, you can build one heck of a machine, and if you're an AMD guy, their new line of processors (Phenom II) are suppose to be revolutionary, so stay tuned to their channel as well. All of the online shops mentioned above are great ones to use, and subscribing to a couple of magazines such as Maximum PC and/or CPU is another idea to get you tuned up. If you really don't want to build though, there are lots of good PCs to be had out there. The Dell XPS actually has some upgrade options for the future, so it's not a bad choice. Let us know what you decide to do.

Dell computers are great if you purchase the complete care warranty. This warranty will give you a new battery and also a new computer if you drop your computer. They will even replace a computer that's 1 week from being out of warranty when it falls into the GOM on a fishing trip. Okay please don't ask for more details about that. No other company has a warranty like Dells with next day service and laptop replacement if it can't be fixed. You can also bargain with the Indian reps to get Complete care included for almost free. Dell also doesn't make that bad of a laptop and I am enjoying my XPS laptop and take it on the road with me daily .

Computer

Go with Intel Quad Core, I have had nothing but trouble out of the 1 PC I have with an AMD Chip it is tons slower than my quad core and they are both new highend custom built PC's basicallky same specs except for the processor and the Intel Quad runs circles around the AMD

Go with Intel Quad Core, I have had nothing but trouble out of the 1 PC I have with an AMD Chip it is tons slower than my quad core and they are both new highend custom built PC's basicallky same specs except for the processor and the Intel Quad runs circles around the AMD

I doubt your single experience with an AMD processor counts as a blanket statement agains all such products.

I have run AMD products for years in my home PC's; my workplace has also had at least 25% of the workstations equipped with them at various times. I've never seen any problems with the processors in any case. AMD also typically underrates their chips compared to Intel; meaning you can often expect to exceed the stated ratings.

This past spring I built a quad-core rig for ~$700 sans monitor. Heck of a deal compared to buying crap that is pre-built. Just look at ram prices alone to see how much $$ you'll lose. long live newegg.com!!!

As far as laptops go, I bought the cheapest $399 special I could find for my wife. A basic Compaq Presario several years ago. I immediately took it home, wiped it clean and we've had no problems with it. Technically, the LCD went out on it, but I opened it up and it ended up just being the cable being loose. Simple fix!

Back