• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Quite the storm near Des Moines IA (5-14-2020)

LTrimmer

Enthusiast
I was almost an hour away from the storm when it got tornado warned so I missed all that excitement, but I happened to catch up to it in time to get this beauty. This is my first season storm chasing and I have to say, I think I'm addicted now ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1671-Pano.jpg
    IMG_1671-Pano.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 0
We were set up south, near Keokuk, eating dinner and watching a cumulous field when we saw that warning. We got to the storm around 7, right as its RFD surged and gusted out. It was a very ominous HP supercell. We were able to follow it along for over an hour. It was the first time I saw a storm being that dynamic. It had a beautiful turquois hail core. I will post some pictures as soon as I get them processed.

I think I may have encountered the same storm.
20200416_182856.jpg
I was on my way home from my first real chase trip, driving on a blown up transmission by the way, and I had totally forgotton about weather.
Tornado2 - Copy.PNG
That was until I found myself in the middle of a pitch black tornado warned supercell somewhere near Burlington Iowa.
Tornado3 - Copy.PNG
I stopped and took some footage, and as you can see by these lightning illuminated stills, that's one he'll of a tornado.
Tornado1 - Copy.PNG
After blowing through some hail I finally got home.

Back