Proposition of Map Room Rule Change

Is this an acceptable rewording?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jason Toft

Hey everyone,

I had a conversation with Jeff Snyder just prior to the formation of Gamma. I had created a thread on the disturbed area that was to become Gamma, that just about everyone was sure would become Gamma. My intention was, in knowing that within 12-18 hours, it would be Gamma, and IIRC, it did do exactly that. However, my post was deleted/moved because it supposedly violated Map Room rule #6:

(6) A post about any tropical cyclone being monitored by NHC is allowed. One FCST/NOW/REPORTS thread per storm. Moderators will adjust the subject line to reflect the latest status of the storm.

I would like to propose a wording change to this rule. The current rule is vague in its description. My proposed wording is this:

A post about any tropical depression, tropical storm, or hurricane being monitored by the NHC is allowed. One FCST/NOT/REPORTS thread per storm. Moderators will adjust the subject line to reflect the latest status of the storm.

My reasoning on this is that just about every big cluster of thunderstorms and tropical waves are monitored by the NHC. This could be taken to mean that there could be a thread for every single storm out there.

It's just a slight clarification, but I think it will help prevent unneeded deletions.

To Tim and all the mods: Thanks for all your work keeping this forum going. We all sincerely appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jason

I just don't think it is necessary. Okay, so the wording isn't 100% explicit, but its close enough that changing the verbiage isn't required.

The BC

"This could be taken to mean that there could be a thread for every single storm out there"

I think the "cyclone" thing makes a difference - and I don't recall one tropical thread that had to be deleted...

Maybe it is my definition of cyclone that is in error. Maybe it was totally my fault for the deletion of my thread. Meh, it's alright. A rule change probably is not needed, but as Mr. Dewey said, "It never hurts to be TOO specific, or at least I wouldn't think so." I tend to agree with him. Although it only seems that there are only a few tropics watchers here (HAltschule (sp?), Sam Sagnella, and myself, to name a few), it can't hurt to be specific in case a new person comes in and starts making threads on the tropics.

Right now we're at 50/50 yes/no. It is completely an administrators' decision, but I was curious to see what the population thought.

Thanks everyone,

Jason

Hell I wouldn't mind limiting threads to just hurricanes and TS that have a potential of hitting the US.... since this is a chasing site ;)

I believe that was the original attention although the rule is a bit vague.

Aaron

I like "tropical cyclone". It conveys the meaning of "having a closed circulation" (thus technically excluding waves and thunderstorm clusters) and isn't Americas-centric to accomodate typhoons, willy-willys, etc.

I go for enforcement whereby discussions about non-cyclone areas of interest develop in the Weather Lab and only move to the Map Room when the NHC has given them at least TD status.

Originally posted by David Wolfson
I go for enforcement whereby discussions about non-cyclone areas of interest develop in the Weather Lab and only move to the Map Room when the NHC has given them at least TD status.

I think this is the best idea so far. Possibly do a FCST thread in Map Room format, but posted in the WX Lab. If it gets upgraded, then a mod moves it to the map room. We might get a lot of unnecessary threads on every wave to come off of Africa, but there could be rules set against that. Just possible waves. Position requests would be needed, say at least once a day the original post would be edited with position updates so that if someone wants to look at satellite imagery, they could find said storm easily.

Great idea, David!

Jason

Will those of you that are voting or have voted please speak up as to why you voted how you did?

12 yes, 15 no as of this post. :(

Jason

Originally posted by Melissa Moon
Personally, I think it is fine as is. For me, reading \"tropical cyclone\" is common sense for any tropical system.

Ditto. Like Mel said, "tropical cyclone" doesn't really leave much 'wiggle room,' but if this wording change helps clear things up for anyone then by all means go for it. I have created threads in the WL for promising convective clusters but they definitely do not belong in the Map Room, at least not until advisories are initiated by the NHC.

Playing devils advicate, obviously it does have some "wiggle room" because the mistake was made. Like I said, adding one or two words to the regulations isn't really all that difficult, and would help prevent any potential further mistakes. It's not that hard to add a word or two....

I am just wondering - was the thread deleted on the spot, or was it moved to the Weather Lab? If it was just deleted... Well... :x

It was not moved to the WX Lab. It was deleted or moved to an invisible forum. Here is part of the e-mail Jeff sent me:

I deleted your post in the Map Room regarding the current tropical disturbance since it is not a tropical cyclone and, therefore, is not allowed in Map Room.

The rest of the message was a clarification. I'm not mad at all with any of the mods, but it could have been moved to the WX Lab and then back again when it developed further.

Jason

Originally posted by Jason Toft
It was not moved to the WX Lab. It was deleted or moved to an invisible forum. Here is part of the e-mail Jeff sent me:

I deleted your post in the Map Room regarding the current tropical disturbance since it is not a tropical cyclone and, therefore, is not allowed in Map Room.

The rest of the message was a clarification. I'm not mad at all with any of the mods, but it could have been moved to the WX Lab and then back again when it developed further.

Jason

IMO, clarification never hurts. Tropical cyclone implies a TD, TS, or Hurricane, but I don't see how specifying those individually would be bad.

In Jason's case, it was a mistake on my part to delete it instead of move it to Wx Lab. I'm allowed a mistake every now and then, I think... :)

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
IMO, clarification never hurts. Tropical cyclone implies a TD, TS, or Hurricane, but I don't see how specifying those individually would be bad.

In Jason's case, it was a mistake on my part to delete it instead of move it to Wx Lab. I'm allowed a mistake every now and then, I think... :)

I pretty much agree with that... And yes, I agree that it's alright to make mistakes - I just wasn't sure of the situation, and regardless, I'm not a moderator so I can't say much about it either way.

Back