Present Day Assessment of Omaha, NE Tornado from 6 May 1975

I thought some of you on here would find this interesting.

I just concluded a graduate level research project that comprised of using GIS to plot the Omaha tornado from 6 May 1975 onto the current layout of the city. Using a damage track image made by the National Weather Service in Omaha, it served as a basis to georeference the image onto aerial photos taken over Omaha within the last few years using ArcGIS 9.1. Much like the risk assessment conducted for the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex back in 2001 by the North Central Texas Council of Governments, the worst-case scenario was assumed and the maximized total number of individuals, residential homes, and potential damage was assessed for this tornado track. However, one drawback to the study was the inability to find the data for median value of businesses within the census block groups off the U.S. Census website. That data could be obtained from the Douglas County Assessor's Office but not for a cheap price. A few people have already expressed a lot of interest in this study and would like to see more done like this for other cities.

The data and analysis of the results were compiled into a paper. If anyone would like to see a copy of the paper please PM or email me at [email protected] and I will send it to you via email. Word of caution: the paper is 1MB and the images that served as appendices are each about 2-3 MB apiece (3 of those).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back