Preparedness: Being trapped in attic

Is this a new phenomenon of being trapped in an attic by rising waters? I'm seeing footage on CNN, presumably in St Bernard or Plaquemines, of people breaking out of roof decking.

I don't recall any disaster preparedness literature talking about this. I am really curious how this kind of contingency will be addressed in the upcoming years, if it hasn't already. I guess the people should have evacuated, but on the other hand maybe it's not a bad idea to have an axe in the attic.

Tim

Don't believe so. Before the hurricane hit, EM's were making repeated statements on air about people having ample tools to cut trough the roof if need be. They made reference to Camille... where they discovered bodies trapped in attics.

Aaron

Is this a new phenomenon of being trapped in an attic by rising waters? I'm seeing footage on CNN, presumably in St Bernard or Plaquemines, of people breaking out of roof decking.

I don't recall any disaster preparedness literature talking about this. I am really curious how this kind of contingency will be addressed in the upcoming years, if it hasn't already. I guess the people should have evacuated, but on the other hand maybe it's not a bad idea to have an axe in the attic.

Tim

A day before the storm hit, the Emergency Managers of New Orleans told everybody during a press conference to make sure they had an axe on hand to break out of the attic in case of flood. I think a lot of people thought he was just trying to scare people, but in the end it turned out to be good advice.

This same issue came up with Hurricane Betsy, as well, and many people drown in their attics. In some sense, this problem is specific to New Orleans, because the surge does not go away once it's there, it slowly rises over time. People keep going higher to get away from the water, and run out of room.

I guess the people should have evacuated, but on the other hand maybe it's not a bad idea to have an axe in the attic.

Tim

Not only that, but also a self-inflating life raft and life jackets. Seriously.

Life jackets are definately necessary gear for any hurricane chaser as well. Even if you dont intentionally shoot near water (ex, pre-storm surf) its good to have 'just in case'.

So much of this is such a complete departure from what we normally think of. Here in the alley, you're always thinking of how low you can possibly get for your own protection. It is just so strange to think of your attic as a refuge from disaster.

I also wonder if more people should be taught how to swim, especially in flood-prone areas. Possibly go so far as to make it a required class in public schools. I know that any flowing water from surge or flash floods are treacherous whether you can swim or not, but at least you'd have a chance in a situation like NO is in now. Learning to swim is not that hard and takes a lot of the dangers of water away.