Prediction: When and where will the LAST hurricane hit

Tim Gonyo

EF2
Now that our first hurricane has already hit the United States coast, lets predict when and where will the LAST one hit.

My prediction: Hurricane Philippe, October 2nd, 2005, Charleston, SC.

-Tim

Hmmmm, let me blow the dust off my dart board. It's going to be Hurricane Ophelia, a cat 2, hitting the outer banks of North Carolina - Cape Hattaras, on September 24th. And I'm absolutely 10% sure of it too. In fact, I'd bet my neighbors pit bull on it.

I dont know a whole lot about hurricanes, but it's interesting to see quite a few of you pick the eastern seaboard as being where the last cane will hit. Why is that? Does the latter part of the season tend to turn storms up in that area?

In response to Anthony's question...the simple answer would be that yes, upper-level dynamics tend to indicate more eastern seaboard landfalls towards the August-September timeframe. You get more troughs digging into the eastern part of the U.S. during that time that tend to deflect west-moving storms northward. Another reason is that in August and September, many storms develop out in the middle of the Atlantic Basin instead of the Gulf and the Caribbean, so the chance of one hitting the U.S. east coast is naturally greater.

Back