Piss Poor Media near Hutchinson Today

I am pretty sure Jason was referring to you thinking the Camero dude was 'Tornado Tim' which it in fact was not... not the situation involving the spotters in the Hutchinson area. If you just want to keep flaming away at people that are trying to help you out, thats fine.
Ok First off I`m the one that made the 'Tornado Tim' comment.
I saw on TWC they were saying this guy in the Camaro called himself 'Tornado Tim'
No disrespect to anyone not even the guy in the Camaro I was just making a funny as I have 2 kick a$$ Camaros that can hit well over 115mph...lol... I was just joking around with my comment. I didn't know there was a real spotter or chaser named 'Tornado Tim' just like most never knew I was out there till now.
I`ve been a chaser since 1992 but I have been low profile till this season.
I only used the name 'Tornado Tim' because that`s what they called the guy in the Camaro and like I said I have to really fast Camaros. Someone should let TWC know this guy in the Camaro is not the real chaser that calls him self 'Tornado Tim'

Here are my 2 Camaros so you will understand my joke....

15497021509_2012_00_-med.jpg

154973119767532912-1991-CAMARO-TUBE-CHASSIS-TURN-KEY-BBC.jpg

15497092608_2137_00_-med.jpg

1549783_Camaro.jpg

Now will the real 'Tornado Tim' please Stand Up?
I would like to tell the REAL 'Tornado Tim' Sorry!!!!
I blame it on TWC for using the wrong name ;)
Steve

I just went and looked on TWC and they have taken down the camaro dued video

Last edited by a moderator:
(Retitling the thread from "spotters" to "media" since this clearly is not a spotter.)

Tim

Well the radio station called them spotters. :confused:

Kelly was Spotter #22 according to the radio station.

but it's all good.

Since this the thread is renamed to media spotters, I have to say chasers with "ch# storm chaser" written on the side of their vehicle were awful on this day. I repeatedly came across these chasers, who could not for the life of them pull off to the side of the road. Just cause you work for a news network doesn't give you a pass to whatever the heck you want.

Well the radio station called them spotters. :confused:

Kelly was Spotter #22 according to the radio station.

but it's all good.

FYI, KFDI has been deploying their own in-house team of storm spotters since at least the early 1970's, if not earlier. I know they used to refer to them as, eg. "mobile unit #7", etc. I can't speak to your evaluation of the specific guy you're criticizing, but KFDI has provided live, mobile storm coverage to the Wichita area for a long, long time and has a loyal, faithful following.

Well you've got to realize, a ton of people out there can mistake a scud from a shelf cloud as a tornado. I'm basically the only storm chaser at school, and just about everybody knows. Anytime there's a hint of severe weather outside, people come screaming TORNADO!! and asking me if it is a tornado, always a scud.

I don't listen to media unless it's a chase team from a television station. Even still, I listen to NOAA and Skywarn with my scanner over all that other stuff.

Steve, I love the camaro's. We've got a '72 Z28 355. ;)

scud and wallclouds and now another thing to worry about

Interesting thread

Just because people say they are storm spotters and/or stormchasers,and have "the training" , does not necessarily mean they can differentiate scud vs a wall cloud, funnels, tornadoes. It is one thing to show a slide show at storm spotter training sessions and to think, now they know it all since they have had the training and can now do it all. It's also another thing to internalize all the visuals that may look like tornadoes, wallclouds but are not.

During my classes each summer, I use my resources so students gain a better understanding of the differences. Many would rather maybe look at the tornado footages etc, but I have structured the learning situation so that they will come away with knowing more about what happens in tornado alley. It seems that through feedback, they appreciate and understand the differences and will be better off in the future if they see a dangerous storm or tornado. I hope it never comes to that but they need to be prepared and just watching the newscasts doesn't cut it.

Unless you are a very seasoned veteran and seen it all ( I will have to say I have not seen everything -I've chased in earnest since 2000- hey I am a teacher too!) , there's still more to learn under almost any situation. The two guys that I chased with , we quickly found such a situation in our encounter with the Kirksville tornado (see my slide show on my blog 5/13/2009 thread ). :eek: But we knew we wanted to be say and played it that way.

I was really peeved when that Chaser had his tornado encounter splashed all over youtube ( I forgot was that the Kirksville tornado?). Not only was he way too close, his blathering and his inaccurate observation (close but he was not in a tornado) just too get himself some fame was dangerous and ridiculous. I am glad his video was pulled.

Last year, I heard spotters on the air claiming there were wallclouds in the area but many were probably looking at scub or wallcloud wannabees. Both can be tough to decipher and analyze. Gustanadoes and landspouts are also confusing (jury is still up with many people consider them tornadoes or not as I last heard or saw noted on Stormtrack).

All in all, it seems that precaution now really has be taken in earnest even more , to watch out for not only the weather, storms and tornadoes but to watch out for other chasers, spotters (Tornado Tim or not) camera crews or etc who drive too fast, don't look where they going, filming etc etc. And that also means even if you are with a group chasing or alone (which many seem to prefer but I do not).

That is another thing I have learned (from this thread!).

::
Well you've got to realize, a ton of people out there can mistake a scud from a shelf cloud as a tornado. I'm basically the only storm chaser at school, and just about everybody knows. Anytime there's a hint of severe weather outside, people come screaming TORNADO!! and asking me if it is a tornado, always a scud. ;)

I don't listen to media unless it's a chase team from a television station. Even still, I listen to NOAA and Skywarn with my scanner over all that other stuff.

Steve, I love the camaro's. We've got a '72 Z28 355. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back