PC capturing video grabs

David Hoadley

Stormtrack founder
Any suggestions on software for Windows XP to download both HD and DVD video segments from my Canon VIXIA HV30, so I can play until stopping a frame to print? I have the old "Windows Movie Maker" (software came with my nearly antique Toshiba Satellite laptop in 2005) and it handles DV copy fine but not DVD. After turning on the camera and pressing "Start capture...", it starts my camera playing and then records in Movie Maker. Today, I gambled on Corel's PaintShop Photo (both HD and DVD) from the local MicroCenter (salesmen not helpful). However, so far can't make it start my camera like the old Movie Maker. All I want is to stop and print frames. Currently waiting for PaintShop Tech Support to tell me how to import video, like the package said it should but doesn't (After following the instructions exactly up to the point of importing, I get the default message "No supported files can be found. Please try other import options" --whatever the hell that means??). Thanks from a low-tech chaser. - - - Dave Hoadley

Dave, try MPEG streamclip, a free program here:

http://www.squared5.com/

DVDs are always tough to capture into a computer, lots of quirks and issues. I usually have to put the DVD in the computer's drive and copy the files over (The VOB files), then use the 'demux' option in Streamclip to produce a separate video and audio track (editing the straight VOB files seem to always have audio sync issues). Then you can import this video and audio track into the editor of your choice to edit and grab frames. Sounds like a lot of hassle (and it is) but this is the only reliable way I've come across.

Dave, I wish I could be of more help, but the solutions I use are probably not going to be of much use unless you want to get all new software or a new computer.

For a simple screenshot you can often just hit the PrintScreen key and paste the copied image into Paint Shop Pro. However, on Windows XP this often doesn't work due to how video is drawn with the hardware. You'll get a black box where the video was. On Vista and 7 it often does work, but this doesn't help in your case obviously.

I use Sony Vegas for getting grabs out of my video. It also has a nice import from Camcorder DVD option that will lift the video off a DVD disc. Again though, you'd have to buy this software, and it isn't cheap. Corel's Paint Shop Pro is more for working with still images. I've never tried to pull grabs out of video with it, and would be surprised if it had that functionality. Its great software for editing the grabs once you do have them, however.

Dan's advice is probably the way to go. I find using the freeware video editors/converters, cumbersome and buggy, but if you've got the patience it will definitely save you some money.

Thanks for the advice. Regarding Skip's comment about whether PaintShop can "pull grabs out of video," the box instructions suggested that. In any case, it was relatively less expensive that the choices I was give (salesman wanted to sell me a $150 software package). I'll let you know if I succede with Dan's software suggestion or if Corel's tech support can tell me how to do it. --- Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. Regarding Skip's comment about whether PaintShop can "pull grabs out of video," the box instructions suggested that. In any case, it was relatively less expensive that the choices I was give (salesman wanted to sell me a $150 software package). I'll let you know if I succede with Dan's software suggestion or if Corel's tech support can tell me how to do it. --- Dave
'

The software does have a screen capture feature built into it. Perhaps it gets around the limitations of the PrintScreen in Windows XP. I believe the feature in Paint Shop Pro is under File -> Import -> Screen Capture. You set the options, and then go to your other program (Windows Media Player), and hit the hotkey to trigger the screen capture.

Back