Pacific: Super Typhoon Jangmi

I am not sure how you pronounce Jangmi? However ST readers might want to have a look at Satellite images today of which is by far the best looking Typhoon (Structure wise) of the 2008 season.

Jangmi was just upgraded to a Super Typhoon and looks destined to strike Taiwan on Sunday. As an aside I did consider a trip after this storm – but family commitments here in the UK prevented me from doing so.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

SUPER TYPHOON 19W (JANGMI) WARNING NR 015 01 ACTIVE TROPICAL CYCLONE IN NORTHWESTPAC MAX SUSTAINED WINDS BASED ON ONE-MINUTE AVERAGE MAX SUSTAINED WINDS - 135 KT, GUSTS 165 KT

On location in eastern Taiwan

I'm on location in eastern Taiwan. In Hualien getting some rest and will be up at dawn to make last minute relocation if need be. Updates at my website.

This typhoon is extremely impressive. It looks like about 07z this morning it slowed a little and took a little more of a wnw track but now is back on a more nw-ly heading. Latest Dvorak numbers on this are at 6.7 indicating 132kts which is in line with latest JTWC warning of 135kts. Attached the latest satellite image. Stay safe James!

Aaron

Attachments

• jangmi.jpg
    jangmi.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 435
!

Thanks Aaron. Recon found extrapolated pressure of 901hPa with flight level winds well over 160kts.

JMA have this at 115kts (10 min) which make it the strongest typhoon since Angela in 1995.

Hualien harbour

Hualien harbour at its most beautiful

1%20800.jpg

2%20800.jpg

3%20800.jpg

Video

Hey guys.

The show is more or less over with Jangmi. Due to the perilous Hualien - Suao highway dug into the side of a 12,000ft mountain range I was unable to relocate further north from Hualien to nab the eyewall of Jangmi.

However I'm not disappointed because it allowed me to document the most insane storm surge waves I've ever seen in my life. They were MASSIVE! Here's a video of the madness, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s9AUB36t2A

Congrats James! That is so itimidating watching those waves. Makes me feel really small.

Wow amazing photos and video James! I'm assuming that's a seawall those waves are crashing over correct? What is the height of that seawall? Oh that brings back memories as I once had to stand pier watch in Pusan back in my Navy days as a tropical storm came onshore, the waves were nowhere near that high though. Would love to see more pics, do you have them anywhere?

Take care,
Aaron

Back