Our very first trip to Tornado Alley

I think the most important thing to bring is your eyes and your heart to experience this big-hearted country. It's easy to get so involved in the technical, small-scale details that you miss the big picture. That's also a big factor in chase "success", to me anyway. The storm-scale phenomena are the visible outcomes of larger-scale interacting physical processes. Those grand-scale processes are always occuring somewhere in "Tornado Alley" during the storm season.

Last year one of the best days for me was chasing an area of huge CAPE and helicity with a very stout cap. Near Gage, OK, rotating towers started to go up with enough vertical motion for precip and some lightning. Would it "do it"...? Uh...nope -- not quite, that day. Still got nice pictures of cows and a very pretty park.

Another comment about tours. This year many of the chase tours have recently learned that there is new legislation by Department of Transportation that they must adhere to and comply with. This will make it difficult for a lot of them to get the certification by chase season. This will also push up the costs, so some may not be available this year. Check with your individual tour company to find out their status.

Hi Jesper! :)

I'm not a chaser; just a writer & severe weather fan from the Northeast USA. This is a VERY informative board, and there's lots to learn here.

If you do come to our country, I hope you have a safe, enjoyable time chasing storms! :D

Hi Jesper

I have never been to the US chasing, but know several fellow Australians who have. Some have just just relied on internet access at librarys and they still scored tornados. The one thing they did have in common however is a long chase background at home.

You like most OS visitors to the plains will have one thing working in your favour, the scale of what some US chasers call 'crap' storms will still leave you satisfied and excited. Tornadoes are just icing on the cake. Lightning, structure, hail they are all in abundance on those ' crap ' storms on a scale that will probably be up with or exceeding the best you have seen abroad.

Hi,

Michael Thompson hit the nail on the head I guess.

But one more comment I can say (not out of disrespect) is that the US chasers most likely don't appreciate or perhaps understand just how much more effort people from other countries have put in to make things work when planning a trip independently. Some comments listed above seem to support this. I think when some of the US chasers come to Australia to chase one day - they may understand what I mean. Why Australia? Because you will be driving on the wrong side of the road and on the other side of the equator apart from the diverse conditions that exist here.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Michael, Jimmy I am not real sure where you get that point of view about us "US Chasers". The thing about us "US Chasers" is that we are here for the entire duration of chase season where as the Chasers coming from other countries are normally only here for a few weeks. Thus us "US Chasers" have to spread our money out and pick an choose the best setups for us. I would chase every thing I could if I had the money and the time even if it was "crap".

You guys invest a good sum of money getting here to the States so I can respect that. I can agree that even the things that some US chasers may take for granted can be very rewarding to those who don't see much of it in their home countries.

Mick

Jesper, congrats.

You seem to have the right approach to planning, enough drive, and the right attitude to make your trip a truly memorable one, whichever choice you make. Plan well, but once here, don't get so wrapped up in all the details that you forget to enjoy yourself. The first chase trip I made to the plains was a bust as far as tornados go, but my siblings and I had such a blast on this glorified "road trip" that we were at once hooked and have returned yearly for the past four years with increasing success.

On that note, it might be wise to research many possible non-chase sites of interest, especially if you choose to go it alone. There will surely be at least a few days of little to no significant storm activity, and you could spend the day seeing something interesting instead of sitting around a hotel room, waiting for the next best shot or burning fuel senselessly. In our trips we have made stops in Dodge City, Kansas, Rosswell, New Mexico, Devil's Tower, Wyoming, the Black Hills & the Badlands of South Dakota, as well as a few random fishing adventures along the way.

You also should be prepared for lots of road construction, especially the roads you just happen to rely on in route to the cell you want to chase - happens all the time :( Or more seriously, the roads you choose to rely on as your safety escape route, should you get caught in harms way. Be careful.

Also, you might be able to save significantly on hotels/motels by picking up coupon/travel circulars at truck stops and convenience stores. Many chains run coupon ads for specific towns at significant discounts to help fill empty rooms during slower months. We have often saved nearly 50% off the standard advertised rates. Just pick up coupon books at fuel/food stops and set them aside until you begin to wrap up the chase day. Then browse the books for the towns nearest your current position to try to locate a steal.

If you do decide to chase on your own, get the equipment as early as possible to work out the kinks and learn to use and customize the features. I would also recommend training your fellow travelers to use some of the equipment, so you can be free at least some of the time to observe the sky, road, sites, etc. Division of responsibility can prove not only freeing, but crucial when timing becomes an issue. I much prefer chasing with my siblings to chasing alone. The driver can focus on traffic and the road while other pairs of eyes stay focused on the skies, laptop, radio settings, cell phones, camcorders, etc. And for laptops, cameras, cell phones, Threatnet, etc. it is smart to install a power inverter to power equipment from the vehicle's battery and charge batteries for mobile use. I use two in my vehicle with power strip to run virtually everything.

I hope this is helpful and not too redundant of other replies. I wish you the very best of luck, safety, and enough success to make you return often to fuel the addiction.

You like most OS visitors to the plains will have one thing working in your favour, the scale of what some US chasers call 'crap' storms will still leave you satisfied and excited. Tornadoes are just icing on the cake. Lightning, structure, hail they are all in abundance on those ' crap ' storms on a scale that will probably be up with or exceeding the best you have seen abroad.[/b]
Thats exactly what I wanted to say. I am sure that a lot of those US storms (which you named "crap storms") are for our European conditions so outstanding that I cannot even imagine to see them here. I chase and see a lot of pretty impressive structures here, which would probably be the usual stormy day in the States. So I am not even worried that we won't see anything, I am sure it will be memorable and I could be bored when I come back home, heh. If I just take it in banal way and compare satellite images, many times our country looks like a little dot besides those systems.

Like David said, our first trips should be focus on enjoying and not so much on the techical stuff like. Thats why we are there, remember? Of course we must have things to make it as much safer as it could be, but even without a radar on the road we are not lost. Its helpful if you are caught by an extreme event, that the only thing that worries me on the road chasing just visualy. We should use as much wifi access as we can and if we are really desperate, we can always use our roaming service to make us sure out there.

I have an approximate price for our trip, it comes around $2500/person for whole month. Of course it would be great to make a few weeks chase with a tour company and get some experiences etc, but that at laest doubles the price for whole trip, won't even think further...

Some of you mentioned NOAA radio or I read HAM radio? Would it be possible to get it with rental car or how/where to get it? That would be pretty helpful I guess.

Whats up with those cojotes or those animal warnings on the road? It seems you mention them very often..

Some of you mentioned NOAA radio or I read HAM radio? Would it be possible to get it with rental car or how/where to get it? That would be pretty helpful I guess.

Whats up with those cojotes or those animal warnings on the road? It seems you mention them very often..
[/b]

You won't get NOAA radio with a rental car, but they aren't too expensive to buy, maybe US$30 or so. I suggest that you go to a Radio Shack, look on eBay, or even search elsewhere on the net. Forget HAM, that requires classes, tests, and equipment purchases (and I don't know, but assume, that you must be a US citizen to operate HAM in this country). (Won't come with a rental, either.)

LOL, well, I guess it's worth mentioning that you need to be extra careful driving at night, because that's when the critters are really scurrying all over the roads. That's gotta be true in every country.....

Bob

I have an approximate price for our trip, it comes around $2500/person for whole month. Of course it would be great to make a few weeks chase with a tour company and get some experiences etc, but that at laest doubles the price for whole trip, won't even think further...
[/b]

How much of that $2500 does it take to get you here?

[/b]

If you get a decent scanner you can pickup most of the spotter frequencies and also all the NOAA radio frequencies. They may run you around $100 and can be helpful.
Mick

Paul, makes a very good point. Chasing is enjoyable even with no tornadoes or even storms. Although I don't live in a foreign country, I do fly to tornado alley for a specific vacation period. Therefore I am often "stuck" with no decent storms. I always research other things to do while waiting for the next chance of storms. There is a alot to see across Tornado Alley. In addition to Paul's examples, there are the Wichita Mountains in southern Oklahoma, Palo Duro Canyon in Texas, Cowboy museum in Oklahoma City, and numerous non chain restaurants especially awesome Texas barbecue. Of course, a chain restaurant may be interesting if you are from a country where the restaurant is not present. ALso check out local events. There are rodeos, craft shows and town fairs throughout the Plains. Think of chasing as a vacation and enjoy all the cool stuff that another country has to offer.

Bill Hark

"On that note, it might be wise to research many possible non-chase sites of interest, especially if you choose to go it alone. There will surely be at least a few days of little to no significant storm activity, and you could spend the day seeing something interesting instead of sitting around a hotel room, waiting for the next best shot or burning fuel senselessly. In our trips we have made stops in Dodge City, Kansas, Rosswell, New Mexico, Devil's Tower, Wyoming, the Black Hills & the Badlands of South Dakota, as well as a few random fishing adventures along the way."

Hi Mickey

My comment was not meant as a slight on US chasers at all. There are guys there that I would hope to meet one day and have the upmost respect for.

If anything it is a admission that the conditions we have back here are deplorable by your standards.

The people that make up your chaser community is probably a mirror of ours ( storms aside ). You will have those that love any sort of weather and will be out and about in their 'local' neighbourhood at every weather event. You will have those who for nothing less than a tornado is a bust - they will have another interest eventually.

Here is a scanner featuring 7 channel NOAA Weather with one touch button similar to what I use. Not sure if this is the same model - I'd have to go out and look:
Uniden Bearcat Scanner

With that said, there are probably others on the list really into scanners that can possibly point you to a better one. I'd recommend getting an external mag mount antenna for it as well to go outside the vehicle for extended range.

BTW others on the list what are the typical spotter and chase frequencies? I always forget them and never use them, but it might be really helpful at times to hear if someone on a storm has already seen tornado on the ground.

Also, if you are flexible enough I would hold off on your tickets and reservations until the forecast models are showing at least one week of really active weather. As others mentioned on another thread, if you can take 3 weeks that really helps to make sure you see some good tornadic. Try and pick it during the climatic peak as well perhaps last 2 weeks of May or possibly 1st or 2nd week of June. Be aware that sometimes June goes dead for awhile.

Keep us posted on your progress. I think many of us are willing to help. If you guys are just stuck and out in the field we may be able to swing by and help or give you recommendations, etc.

I'm glad you all will have an opportunity to make it to the Plains this spring! :)

First of all, I think if I were you, I would try to chase on my own for this trip. If it's the difference between staying 1 week (with a tour) or staying 3 weeks (on your own), I would definitely pick the latter (because the odds increase greatly that you will see something good).

Second of all, I'm quite certain that there are a number of experienced chasers on this board (including myself) who wouldn't mind you all tagging along on a particular chase day. I find most US chasers to be extremely helpful with sharing data and chase advice, so I really would recommend trying to meet up with some chasers while you're out here (via a private message or new thread on ST).

Best wishes! :)

Gabe

Michael, Jimmy I am not real sure where you get that point of view about us "US Chasers". The thing about us "US Chasers" is that we are here for the entire duration of chase season where as the Chasers coming from other countries are normally only here for a few weeks. Thus us "US Chasers" have to spread our money out and pick an choose the best setups for us. I would chase every thing I could if I had the money and the time even if it was "crap".

Mick
[/b]

Mick,

Sorry my response was not meant to sound offensive in any way so hopefully it wasn't taken as such. Obviously the intention of the information was to be a great help to the first timers. The main purpose of my previous post was that the advice given in this helpful thread makes more sense at least in some case for those living in the US. For instance, it is easy to purchase equipment, but when it comes down to using a credit card such as at truck stop WIFI's, we simply cannot do it unless you have a a credit card that has a US address! That began to be a problem in 2004 and will remain a problem. Sure we can cart over equipment but even that adds to the costs due to weight limitations/luggage. The deteriorating situation with car hire is scary as well!

I guess that brings another point, how things have changed in terms of requirements and tools available. When David Croan and I chase in 2001, we came over with nothing and used libraries as a source of internet - no cell phone, no NOAA radio, no GPS etc etc. We purchased maps and basically used experience and knowledge. But for those first timers that have not chased the types of conditions in the US, starting out I think is somewhat more complex. I wish them all good luck in their travels.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Back