On this date!

Craig Maire II

On this date 01/24/1967 violent storms and deadly tornados ripped though portions of Iowa! There was 1 reported fatalitie, and atleast 11 tornados that were given an F-scale rating of F2 or higher (1 tornado even received and F4 rating!!) Remember, this is Iowa and its January so having an outbreak such as the one that occurred on this date in 1967 is a true rarity (atleast in the month of January!!)

For more information please visit:
http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dl...?wwevent~storms

On this date 01/24/1967 violent storms and deadly tornados ripped though portions of Iowa! There was 1 reported fatalitie, and atleast 11 tornados that were given an F-scale rating of F2 or higher (1 tornado even received and F4 rating!!) Remember, this is Iowa and its January so having an outbreak such as the one that occurred on this date in 1967 is a true rarity (atleast in the month of January!!)

For more information please visit:
http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dll?wwevent~storms

My colleague, Jonathan Finch, has done a surface analysis, a 12z 500mb Chart, and a 00z 500mb Chart from this particular case, along with tracks of the tornadoes for this case.

For those who were not aware, Jon has developed an amazing database of significant tornado events with surface maps, 500mb charts, among other things dating back to the early 1940s. This is truly some amazing work he has put together, but few people are aware of this database.

for historical tornado buffs and case study freaks, bookmark this site >> http://bangladeshtornadoes.org/UScases.html

Mike U

According to that map right there...that 8:40 PM tornado in eastern Illinois went right over my house. Wonder if I can find anything about my town being hit that day...I didnt remember hearing about anything like that before, but, according to that map, it definetly hit my town.

Found It:

January 24, 1967
Out-of-season tornadoes affected parts of northern and central Illinois. One strong tornado in Mason County killed one person and injured 3 others. Another tornado moved across the Champaign-Urbana metropolitan area, injuring 5 people. Other strong tornadoes were reported across Carroll County in Mt. Carroll, where 12 people were injured, and near Gladstone in Henderson County.

Am I reading this surface chart correctly: a 968 mb low with a neighboring station reporting 1000 mb? Is this a mesolow? That's one heck of a low first of all and the isobar gradient would be kicking up some extreme winds. But that is a very impressive setup for January. I'd be taking off school/work.

Am I reading this surface chart correctly: a 968 mb low with a neighboring station reporting 1000 mb? Is this a mesolow? That's one heck of a low first of all and the isobar gradient would be kicking up some extreme winds. But that is a very impressive setup for January. I'd be taking off school/work.

That would be 996.8, you just have move the decimal place over... 000 equals 1000.

That would be 996.8, you just have move the decimal place over... 000 equals 1000.

I actually learned that in my Atmos class once, but can you tell I don't do hand analyses? hehe

Back