OMG! OMG! 638 mph winds!!!! No, seriously, this is messed up

051209_rpts.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/051209_rpts.html

Wind Reports:

Time Speed Location County State Lat Lon Comments
1817 588 WAKEFIELD MIDDLESEX MA 4250 7107 (BOX)
1856 598 TIVERTON NEWPORT RI 4165 7120 (BOX)
1957 608 PLYMOUTH PLYMOUTH MA 4196 7068 (BOX)
1958 638 BOURNE BARNSTABLE MA 4173 7061 (BOX)

:shock: :shock: :lol:

Poor birds trying to ride the gust... heheheh (mental picture)

I read this yesterday...and I was going to post about it, but I was just forgetting about it. The SPC seems to make mistakes like this often....

Not the SPC's fault... their software automatically plots severe reports that come across the NOAAport feed from NWS office's. Error was on the NWS end.

Aaron

Actually the LSRBOX report appears fine to me...

Maybe the decimal point in the wind report caused an error, but I don't know why it should.

- Rob

0117 PM TSTM WND GST WAKEFIELD 42.50N 71.07W
12/09/2005 59.00 MPH MIDDLESEX MA AMATEUR RADIO

I'll bet it was a F-10 tornado. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Whats interesting is that it still has not been fixed. I dunno....anybody check to see if the reporting stations still exist?

This prelim product is not used in any other way, I'd imagine that combined with this being a weekend probably means they are in no hurry to reprogram the decoder?

I'll bet it was a F-10 tornado. :wink: :wink: :wink:

There's no such thing as an F10! We went over this already! GOSH! :shock: [/napolean dynamite]

Hee Hee :p

Jason

To be honest, this was clearly a typo, missed decimal point, whatever. The reports are amusing, but obviously an error.

Is this really up to Weather Lab standards? Everytime somebody spots an error from the NWS are we going to drool over it? This reminds me of the endless poor quality discussions on other weather forums (mainly, Wright-Weather).

Back